Technical Replacing fuel lines-Jimbro?

Currently reading:
Technical Replacing fuel lines-Jimbro?

Have a low mileage (8k) 89 GF which I bought a year ago. Runs like new except every now and then stutters and has even stopped running on one occasion-like fuel isn't getting through. Once I stop it and wait 5 minutes and start it again it's fine. Happens quite rarely-took it to isle of wight from london and it was fine but then it did it on a short run a couple of weeks back.
It did this when I first bought it and I took it back to the garage that sold it to me-they said because it had been standing for the best part of 10 years, the fuel in tank had gelled up and so they cleaned out the tank. I reckon there may still be gunk in the fuel lines and that replacing them may help this not re occurring (someone on the owners club site mentioned this may be the problem) Any thoughts Jimbro? I am fairly competent with tinkering-are fuel lines easy to change-nothing in Haynes about it. Cheers

I changed my fuel lines (1989 1500). From memory you need about 1.5m of 8mm (tank to pump and pump to carb) plus 1m of 6mm (carb to tank return).

My pipes were restricting flow due to age and probably crud from the tank.

I also fitted an inline filter between the tank and the pump, cost a couple of quid from Halfords (as long as the union pipes are the appropriate size, just about any filter will do the job).

May also be worth cleaning out the carb if you think dirt has got through, the jets may have some crud in them.

As for the difficulty, if I can do it, anyone can!

Simply a matter of talking the old pipe off and putting the new pipe on. Make sure they are clamped firmly into place, petrol leaks are not a good thing!

Mike

Just a thought, if yours if fuel injection (US), then the fuel hose will have to be high pressure, otherwise low pressure is fine.

I didn't bother with the braided fuel pipe, simple rubber quality fuel pipe is fine.

Mike

Cheers for that Mike. That's reassuring-I'll give it a go myself. Just had a look at Alternative autos website and they do a fuel hose kit including filter and connectors at a good price so will probably go for that-mines not an injection (heaven forbid!) so as you said dont need high pressure hose.
Thanks again
Lucio

Glad to help.

As a side note, I looked at the alternative auto website and thought the prices were great, then found out they hadn't been updated for ages. When I contacted them for a price, it was considerably higher than the website!

Mike

Back