Technical 1300 SOS Any help would be great..

Currently reading:
Technical 1300 SOS Any help would be great..

Kirkers

Hi

I have been having problems with my, usually very reliable, 1300..

The car just stopped one day and the fault was down to a broken coil, which we later found out was due to irregular voltages due to a badly fitted radio... A regulator was fitted to solve that problem.

Up to this point is that feasible that this was the problem...

A couple of days after it was "Fixed" I washed the car, the engine did get very wet...

When I went to drive the next day she stuttered very badly and when I looked at the distibuter cap I could see smoke, coming out...

I took off the cap and it was very wet and dirty (it had not been on tightly by the way) I dried it as best I could but still got smoke when starting car, which was really struggling...

The story ends with a mechanic spraying Ether onto the point and the cap which then exploded once we started the car... :-(

I am waiting for a new cap, any ideas what the smoke is??? Has anyone seen this before??? Is this a symptom of a damp dissy cap??
I don't think it was steam by the way, but I could be wrong..

Any help or advice would be great

I think steam cleaning the engine may be a bit too much imo..:eek:
Unless your points are burnt to f**k I would say that it was steam coming out of your dissy cap..
Your "mechanic" should pay for your new dissy because any decent mechanic knows that ether is VERY explosive that is why you use it by putting it down the carbs of engines that are stubborn to start not the distributor, where the spark is hence the explosion...:bang:

sometimes steam may come out of the dizzy caused by engine breather (located beside dizzy)maybe blocked ??? engine will try breath through dizzy the dampness will cause problems ,and as for that so called mechanic (n) spraying flamable spray in the ignition of your car :bang: leo is dead right he should pay and count himself lucky its not a car he owes you :devil:

OK..

Fitted new dist cap..

Car starts but doesn't run well at all and dies after a few mins...

It is smoke coming from the dist cap... Which is very clean...

Points look a bit fried....

Could this be the condencer failing???

Are the condencers pretty standard???

Was told that if the coil was from a car with electronic ignition that could give to much power...

Any advice???? :)

have you changed or removed distributor since this problem started ??last engine i built had a gear drive for driving oil pump on one end and the dizzy on other end which is driven by an aux shaft in block ,this drive was few mm to long and caused car to stop,slip ignition timing and smoke it was pushing shaft up through dizzy as we tighened the clamp .:bang:

have you changed or removed distributor since this problem started ??last engine i built had a gear drive for driving oil pump on one end and the dizzy on other end which is driven by an aux shaft in block ,this drive was few mm to long and caused car to stop,slip ignition timing and smoke it was pushing shaft up through dizzy as we tighened the clamp .:bang:

Have removed the dizzy many many times...

Smoke is coming from inside the cap....

mine smoked from inside too take it back out and look at shaft on bottom of dizzy you will see a rool pin going through it see if you can see any burn marks were it spins around ??

Kirkers cars got the camshaft driven distributor ( same as mk1 uno turbo),,,
sounds like its over charging ??

:)

Hi Mate...

So, how can I stop it over charging?

You think maybe its the alternator?

OK

Might be getting somewhere..

Started the car tonight to see if any stray sparks and saw quite a strong one from where the wire from the coil goes into the dizzy..

I taped it up but there was still a wee spark..

Pic attached...

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/3429/coilwire.jpg

Could this be the problem???

Whats the best way to sort this???

Rob mate, i'm just guessing at the overcharging thing. If your car was back home in scotland it would be fixed by now, but unfortunately my test leads will not reach 'The Canaries'. Hopefully the techheads will be along soon to help :):):) charlie

Charlie

Never said this and meant it so much "Wish you were here"

If it is sparking there you have a problem with the either the rotor arm, dizzy cap or one (or more) of the HT plug leads. I suspect the cap is the most likely culprit as even with all the others as problems it shouldn't be shorting to the low tension wire that triggers the coil.

Take the cap off and give it a really good check - it is possibly cracked and will almost definitely show signs of tracking.

Hi Charie

This is the No on the coil: 1 220 522 012

I can't find it on the net..

Back