General What is the best way to confirm construction year and model?

Currently reading:
General What is the best way to confirm construction year and model?

Aussie79x19

Hi All,
Being a newbie owner and to this forum I find this site invaluable, so thanks to you all.
Our '1979' X1/9 is a 1300 4 speed. The research I have done prior to our purchase seems to suggest that in 1979 the X1/9 was built as a 1500 4 speed.
The previous owner of our car had removed the chunky bumpers as he didn't like them.
Is it possible that our X1/9 is not a 1979, but an earlier model? I have looked at the construction plates, but I couldn't determine anything further.
Our X1/9 is in great condition, no rust and we got it from a elderly Fiat enthusiast. It was a great find.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Wayne

Hi All,
Being a newbie owner and to this forum I find this site invaluable, so thanks to you all.
Our '1979' X1/9 is a 1300 4 speed. The research I have done prior to our purchase seems to suggest that in 1979 the X1/9 was built as a 1500 4 speed.
The previous owner of our car had removed the chunky bumpers as he didn't like them.
Is it possible that our X1/9 is not a 1979, but an earlier model? I have looked at the construction plates, but I couldn't determine anything further.
Our X1/9 is in great condition, no rust and we got it from a elderly Fiat enthusiast. It was a great find.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Wayne

PM me the full chassis number and i'll see what i can do

There was a significant overlap in production. RHD 1500s were still being built alongside LHD 1300s in 1979, more importantly is that the RHD 1500s were initially only shipped to the UK (something of a first for Fiat to release a new "model" here) which suggests that some RHD 1300 production was ongoing or more likely the last of the 1300 RHD stock was being depleted through the remaining RHD market (Australia, NZ). The rest of the world didn't see the 1500 model until 1980.

The complicated bit is that the last of the european spec 1300s (RHD and LHD) were built with the new chunky aluminium bumpers which simply adds to the confusion.

Given the completely random overlap of parts and designs, I'd take a stab and say they were probably still building 1300's from parts they had left for them (as in engines, and whatever else got changed). The bumpers were obviously due to safety regulations, so that's a no brainer.

How is this to help add to the confusion...I have one of the '80 1300 with the aluminium bumpers :D

Welcome to the forum Aussie79x19, just in case I haven't said it already :wave:
In your post you mention a 1500 4spd, is this your cars configuration?

The simplest way to tell the 1300 from 1500 engine is look at the engine model number either on the plate on the right side of the front "boot" or on the engine itself. The 1300 is labelled 128AS and the 1500 138AS. 1500s were only every 5 speed and these were introduced as early as the start of 1979. The same plate in the boot should also have the chassis number on it. Take a look at x19spares.co.uk as this site has a list of chassis numbers and manufacturing year under technical info.

Hi All,
Thanks again for all your replies. My car does have a 1300 engine (thanks to the plate in the front boot) and is definitely a 4 speed.
My car does have the chunky aluminum bumpers which the previous owner has removed, but he has passed them onto me. Not too keen to put them back on as they are downright ugly!
I have seen other images of 1979 X1/9s that have the smaller bumperettes and rubber 'blocks'. As I want to keep it as original as possible, were the earlier 1979 X1/9s fitted with the smaller bumpers
Thanks again everyone:)
Wayne

Last edited:
No the 79's were never fitted with the original slimline bumpers because of the changing US safety laws. The older bumpers do fit though as long as you can find a set. Keep in mind though that your car may not pass road worthy (what ever your VIC equivalent is, blue slip or something?) as at least up here in QLD the car must be compliant with all the ADR at time of production.

Last edited:
Hi popsprocket,
My X did past the Victorian Roadworthy without the ugly bumpers on. I note on carsales.com.au there is a 'fully restored' 1979 X1/9 1300cc with the smaller bumpers, they just look so much better.

Although it may be listed as 'fully restored' the bumpers are not original, many people simply opt for them as they are far better looking. The crash bumpers were brought out in 1975, and then updated to how they look on ours, in 1979.

I'll probably attempt to source a set too once I can figure out if they'll be a road worthy problem up here, since they're sort of sticklers for things on old cars which sucks.

Aussie79 - so what's your chassis number in the end - you've got us intriqued now? As mentioned above, the plate on the front boot inner wing is the place to look, but this *should* match the number stamped along the right side inner front boot scuttle edge (i.e above the battery or washer bottle for lhd/rdh cars). FWIW the info on the x19spare site has been "lifted" :mad: from the original list that the Greek Club did, see http://x19gr.50webs.com/tecnical.htm so i'd prefer to go there (y). I'm pretty sure that there's X19 Lido's (the last 1300 editions in UK/europe) that have chassis numbers in the 99xxx range and are registered early '79.

Hi All,
The number on the plate and the number that is stamped on the RH side of the scuttle plate is:
128AS*0106/09

I can't find any other numbers in the front boot area. The right wing plate has the above number stamped in the 'Chassis number' section.

Hi All,
what it is to look in daylight rather than at night!:D
The chassis number is:
128AS*0106709

The plate on the right wing makes the '7' look like a '/' and in the dark last night the stamped numbers on the RH scuttle plate in the front baggage area also looked like a '/' rather than a '7'.

Sorry about the confusion.
wayne

I was more convinced of it being a 1300cc, but was more curious about the year of construction. Going by the web page sent by ICS13, it does appear that my X was built during 1979.
So, thanks so much for all your help.
Wayne

I was more convinced of it being a 1300cc, but was more curious about the year of construction. Going by the web page sent by ICS13, it does appear that my X was built during 1979.
So, thanks so much for all your help.
Wayne

Just curious, have a look at the plate mounted over the front right wheel under the front bonnet thingo and see what the paint code is. My '79 1300 isn't original colour, but the colour code stamped on there corresponds to a 1980 colour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9#Paint_codes

You can check it there, not sure if all the codes are there.

Hi,
According to what I have yours should be 1500 5 speed made between Sept 1978 and Dec 1979 starting at Chassis no 98000 to 125805, 27805 cars made.
Don't know how accurate this is, I would love more info on chassis numbers, I did email Fiat but did not get any reply.
Tony

Back