Technical Gearbox issues

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox issues

datahar

I know that first and second gears are notorious on the x1/9, but what are the symptoms for when they go?
My issue is it is hard to select first or second gear, the gears are there and they go in fine, but when I move the gear stick over to the right there is no feedback from the springs like there is if i move it to the left.

If i push really hard to the left then I am able to ram it into first or second, there is no grinding noise from the gears and all works fine.

Is there a spring that is snapped that is stopping me select these gears do you think? or am I in need of some serious work,

It is an '86 UK model and I've been living with this issue for 6months but now my gran finale is nearly ready so I am going to be wanting to sell this car and I want it to nice for the future owner.

Any help is welcome

Thanks

Is the 'lollypop' connector tight? Where the selector comes out of the gearbox and connects with the linkage from the gearstick. Try tightening that if it is loose, although now that I think about it, the symptoms would be hard to go into 5th and reverse, not the ones that you have described...give it a look anyway, it can't do any harm :)

Back