Technical Are dallara kits even legal?

Currently reading:
Technical Are dallara kits even legal?

nick mantis

Hi guys, only just joined but have been reading the forum for about 6 months now.

My question is over the legality of the dallara kits, more specifically the fibrecar kit that disposes of the pop-up headlamps and instead runs the lower rectangular units.
Surely these do not meet the height regulations (500mm i beleive) required certainly under uk law since the 60's.
500mm is above the front bumper on my X19 (1987 1500 model).

The prototipo kits around also have rectangular no movable headlight installed, also illegal? Or is there something different about modified cars thatc lets you run them?

I think the 500mm figure that you quote relates to the Type Approval process for new cars. As far as I know there's nothing in the MoT about measuring the height of the headlight, so once your car has been manufactured and Type Approved (which X1/9's have) there's nothing to stop you fitting any headlights you want. In theory.

Dallara kits are legal....kind of.

Thanks guys, and for that link.
After trawling through the pages i came up with a definative answer.

Minimum height for dipped beams is 500mm and max 1200mm.

However there are no restrictions on main beams and they do not have to be part of the dipped unit.

So basically if using the fibrecar kit (which happens to be the most comprehensive and most faithful kit available) the lower mounted square lights can be used for your main beams (which is all they would have been used for on the race car anyways).

Then u simply get a daytime MOT, or cut the new nose to fit around the original flip up headlights and use them as dipped.

Alternatively moving the old flippers back and cutting holes in the bonnet is definatly a cheaper option should the modification go wrong!

I may stick with the daytime mot.

Thanks again all!:slayer:

Back