Technical Oil Cooler

Currently reading:
Technical Oil Cooler

redbenson111

I have posted this on the Uno forum as well, so sorry if you are reading this twice.

I am in the process of fitting a Mk1 Uno Turbo engine into my X1/9 and this involves repositioning the oil cooler.

I am going to make up (or have made up) some longer pipes from the sandwich plate if I can get the right fittings. I have already located the banjos for the sandwich end but my problem and questions are as follows:

1) The fittings on the cooler are stuck fast (they have been there for 20 years after all). I have soaked them in penetrating oil even though they were liberally covered in engine oil but they won't budge. I dont want to apply too much force in case I wreck the matrix so the question is, do the fittings actually come off or are they permanently fixed?

2) Assuming that I can get them off, does anyone know what size the fittings are? They are 27mm across the flats which I think makes them M18 but does anyone know if they are metric, BSP etc?

Any input would be useful as I don't really want to just piece extra lengths into the original pipes if I can help it.

The fittings do come off - I don't recall having any problems removing them when I converted my car originally but the cooler was quickly ditched in favour of a larger lancia delta unit when we noticed it was leaking... funnily enough the intercooler had the same problem and had the same solution to that too!

I vaguely recall that you can put a spanner on the cooler fitting and another on the pipe fitting so you can remove the load on the matrix itself.

Try getting in touch with Think Automotive in London - they may not have answers specific to the Uno Turbo but they seriously know their way around such things and will definitely be able to advise

Last edited:
Back