General Sad times.

Currently reading:
General Sad times.

Fett

Hi, suppose I should introduce myself first. Have had an X1/9 for about 14 years now and been a member of this forum a while (just a bit lazy when it comes to typing:rolleyes:).

A few years ago started a project on my car, swapping the engine for a Honda 2.7 V6. The car was actually up and running for a bit, untill i recently change mechanics, he found the engine needed to be remounted and was going to cost loads to fix it.

So as with most pie in the sky projects money has ran out. A shame because it was rapid when it was running and a small fortune spent on upgrades:

Custom made fibre glass front end.
4 pot brembo brakes, 305 discs and pagid pads (probably a bit overkill:D)
Custom adjustable leda suspension
Custom made stainless quad exhaust
Pedal box with adjustable bias
H&R hubcentric spacers with 17" kie light racing alloy wheels

Well here's a few pics:

V6pic3.jpg

V6pic1.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00061blanked.jpg

DSC00196blanked.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

Ah well it was good while it lasted.:(

Hi there Fett, I seem to recall asking you about your Brembo conversion last year, but I got no reply. That's a very nice car you have there, but what's the gist of your post? Are you selling up, seeking donations to keep it going, or just lamenting? Sorry to hear your project has stalled anyway.
All the best
Rachael

Hi Rachael, sorry don't remember you asking about the brembos, did I give any sort of reply?

As for my post just lamenting, thought I may get a bit of empathy on here, as all I get off friends and family is "you should have got rid of it years ago".

No not selling any parts, yet, though it may be an option. Someone is interested in buying and finishing the project if we can agree a price. I would like to see the car finished, all the parts are there to do so, just needs the work put into it. But I've got to think about recouping some of my money (although it will be not even half of what I've spent:cry:)

Yep, I get that from my other half. He keeps threatening to bury my Fiats in the garden. I've got a similar V6 X1/9 project on the go, using an Alfa GTA power unit. I'm acutely aware of the costs! And I've just got myself in more trouble, I've bought a Lancia HPE for nostalgic reasons.

If you search your posts for "Brake upgrade solutions" in April last year you will find I joined that thread a bit late; you were probably not aware I had posted the question.

Hope you can keep your project going - you are right that we never get back anything like what we put in to these cars :(

Ah yes , I found the thread, I didn't get a PM off you, though I rarely log on prefering just to read others posts.

The offset of the wheel is -45 I believe and the spacers are 20mm (they are hubcentric allowing 5x100mm pcd conversion). Don't quote me, it was a long time ago and it was mainly worked out by the guy doing the work, but the way I understood it was that the X1/9 could have an offset of anywhere between -5 and -25. This set up gave -25. Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge could correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway it worked, no rubbbing on the suspension, althought the arches had to be cut to accomodate the wheels.

For mounting the calipers I haven't got a clue what was done, all I know was that he faricated his own brackets etc, sorry. Hope this is some help.

The most annoying thing about the car was that the car was actually up and running for a while, it was an interseting drive to say the least:devil:.

That's a great looking project you have going there. I had a '78 and always wanted to do a motor swap but did not have the $. I hope your car gets finished by somebody. What was wrong with the motor mounting?

Yep, I get that from my other half. He keeps threatening to bury my Fiats in the garden. I've got a similar V6 X1/9 project on the go, using an Alfa GTA power unit. I'm acutely aware of the costs! And I've just got myself in more trouble, I've bought a Lancia HPE for nostalgic reasons.

If you search your posts for "Brake upgrade solutions" in April last year you will find I joined that thread a bit late; you were probably not aware I had posted the question.

Hope you can keep your project going - you are right that we never get back anything like what we put in to these cars :(

Just reading down, and "wow" Lancia HPE had one loved it in silver,even lifted the boot from time to time, after the belt went and mangled my valves,, and kept them there, was only young and let it go cheap... Good luck with it, its a amazing its still around mine was only a few years old , and even then she was rotten...... love my X'ey now though.....

Thanks Buzz1560, sadly I don't think it is, the deal I had lined up with someone has gone down the pan:(. Basically the first mechanic who had the car did a bit of a hash job and the drive shafts weren't lined up properly (or so it's been explained to me, probably in simplified terms:rolleyes:) That coupled with alot of welding on the body needed, put it out of my price range for my present circumstances.

Looks like there may be alot of parts coming up for sale shortly:cry:

QBTO there aren't many shops on race tracks where I intended for it to spend most of it's time:D

I bought my first HPE for the engine, intended to go into my 128 3P. The white 2 litre carb HPE was being used to take hay bales to the owner's horses in the fields, and was kept under a tree. As well as the usual places, the car had gone rusty in the gutters because of all the leaf matter blocking them, and of course the inside was ankle deep with hay. However, after driving it I decided to restore it. During my ownership I converted it to injection, cut down the springs and fitted 185/60 tyres. It was so low I couldn't get a jack under it.

I sold the car when I emigrated to Australia. While I was in Oz I found another 2 litre HPE, in silver. It was a wreck, the paintwork and interior had suffered in the sun, but I managed to get the air con working and used it as a work hack.

Now, many years later and back in Blighty, I saw this latest HPE being sold by a fellow X1/9 OC member. I just couldn't resist! My other half unfortunately does not share my passion for Italian macchine, so I have spent a few days in the doghouse.

Back