Technical Starter motor

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor

shaun

Established member
Hi,the starter has been making a "clunk" when i try to start the car.I have removed, tested and cleaned it.It seems to work ok on the bench but when i put it back in the car it does the same as before.Any help

Thanks Shaun

While taking the starter off i found that i have a oil leak coming from the spacer between the fuel pump and the block.Any ideals where i can get a new one from.I have looked on eurosport and alternative autos.

Thanks Shaun

Sounds like you're not having much fun at the moment.

The fuel pump spacer is not unique to the X1/9 - most of the sohc fiats have much the same part but I'm not sure they are all the same thickness. You would need to make sure you have the actuator rod to match.

If it is leaking though it may not be the block's fault. There should be a gasket either side of it and these are often overlooked.

The starter sounds like it is failing to engage with the flywheel properly and that is unlikely to be the fault of the starter motor if it is working cleanly on the bench. Check the state of the flywheel crowngear through the observation window and make sure all the teeth are there and not damaged.

Thanks jimbro
I took it apart again saturday cleaned everything i could get to ,took the solenoid apart and cleaned that.When i put it back on it fires up first time, but after that i need to turn the key about ten times before it starts again without it just clunking.I will check the flywheel crowngear.I did have only a gasket between the spacer and the block so i will put one between the pump and the spacer and see how it goes.Is it worth me checking any other possibilities ie ignition switch etc ?

Thanks Shaun

If you are getting a clunk from the starter motor then the ignition switch is definitely working.

Only other thing to check is that the cables in the engine bay haven't degraded. Check all your earthing straps on the engine and gearbox and that you are getting good voltage to the starter motor in the first place.

Sorted the problem with the starter.I strip the solenoid down,remove the solder around the two connections and found one side of the plate was dirty and not making proper contact.Cleaned it up turned the plate around refitted.

Back