General gear oil ?

Currently reading:
General gear oil ?

kikbak66

hi, anyone know if i can use ep gear oil in my fiat x19 as thats the only one i can get hold of... manual says not ep.. thankyou

Thanks Peter, massive help,found cure to the problem as well as this site i found another site which was also very helpful www.opieoils.co.uk. The answer seems to be epx or a castrol multigrade. Thanks again.

Never, ever use EP oil in your X1/9 gearbox. The gears aren't suitably treated and will just disintegrate (putting it simply).

Use a regular 80W90 gear oil as a basic preference, Redline MT90 is my personal favourite.

hi, anyone know if i can use ep gear oil in my fiat x19 as thats the only one i can get hold of... manual says not ep.. thankyou

No! NO! NO!

Do not put EP gear oil in your X1/9 - it will trash it! I know from experience. Had 4 X1/9's, 1300 and 1500 and one thing I strongly remember is rebuilding a 1500 X1/9 gearbox after it was filled 'accidentally' with EP oil; to do such a rebuild now would cost more than buying another car.

The reason: EP (extreme pressure) oils in gearboxes designed for non-EP oils find that the oil forms too thick/strong a layer in all the contact surfaces and so effectively forces all the internal components to have less space and so they work against each other and, ironically+unfortunately, work to destroy each other.
Conversly, if your gearbox is designed for EP oil (not an X1/9) then to not use such an oil would also cause excessive wear due to lack of sufficient inter-metal protection.

Hppe that helps and enjoy your X1/9 - great cars, just keep it in a garage and away from water. ;-)

Thanx all,,,,, its amazing how many people that sell oil haven't got a clue...... drove round looking for oil, and two shops said " it will be fine to run EP its for all cars" thankfully I new better.... thanx guys.................. (y)

Hi Guys, just been reading this thread, the gearbox in my x1/9 leaks a bit of oil and I have been topping up with Castrol EPX 80w90, is this OK? The gearbox synchro is a little weak in third and shot in first but other than that is ok, I want to try and put off rebuilding it for a year or so (need the money to sort the body work!) and hence want to make sure that I am filling it up with the correct oil!

Any ordinary EP oil (including Castrol EPX) can do an incredible amount of damage to the gearbox internals on your X1/9. Sadly there are few non-EP oils around these days so you have to do a bit of digging.

Castrol ST90 would be ideal if you had to use Castrol.

If the box is leaking you may want to find some additives to help as it is normally down to dried out seals that can be revived with proper treatment.

if your struggling finding someone with none ep oil, find a motorbike or at a preference a scooter shop and ask for some SAE90 (straight 90) as whats in the engine of a lambretta (not vespa thats SAE30.)

Lammy oil is whats in mine now and its stopped cruching in 3rd now :)

gb804520, i always though exxey's never had a synchro in first till i was told otherwise :)

BTW Jimbro, if it does crunch in 1st and 3rd, how long do you think it would take to prop the 'box, change the busted synchro's and re fit it? a weekend of a job?

If it is just 1st and 3rd you might conceivably get it done in a weekend but don't put any bets on it.

It isn't that it is a particularly difficult job, just time consuming to do it all right but if you have the workshop space and the tools then it is do-able.

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the quick reply, I visited a couple of local motor factors today who all tried to sell me EP oils! Anyway now ordered some Redline MT90 online so will change the oil as soon as it arrives.

I may have ago at the gearbox myself, I am happy pulling engines etc apart but have always steered clear of gearbox's maybe I need to face my fears!!!

anyway cheers once again

Back