General Philippine Fiat X1/9

Currently reading:
General Philippine Fiat X1/9

deocon

Hi to all.

I am from the Philippines and I am 48 years old. I have owned an X1/9 in 1982 and sold it 3 years later.

Just last December, I saw one for sale at $800.I bought it for my son.

Here is the picture.

PICT0411.jpg

In the beginning of January, I started to turn it to a Dallara-bodied X1/9 using only sheet metal and not fiberglass.

The first thing done was to fabricate an airfoil(spoiler). Since I am from the Philippines, we do not have much option but to fabricate things, no kits here.

PICT0410.jpg

The finish spoiler.

PICT0416.jpg

PICT0415.jpg

Then the outline of the front fender flares are mocked up with 1/4" round bar.

PICT0462.jpg

Trying out the shape with packing tape.

PICT0467.jpg

PICT0466.jpg

The front valence are now sawed-off.

PICT0477.jpg

Cardboard templates are laid-out on the outline to be transferred to metal sheets.

PICT0476.jpg

Wow

Looks like a lot of work deocon but i like the ideal of metal rather than fibreglass.

Keep the pics coming on your progress

Ps awesome rear spoiler

Last edited:
I think it is going to look awesome once it is finished(y)
I LIKE THE FRONT GRILL:D

:eek:Omg Deocon! Thats looks good already. Good luck with the project bud (y)

I am doing a dallara bodykit conversion aswell atm....but obv in fiberglass tho....i would never be able to do something what your doing.....

Would you mine helping a fellow X1/9 owner and give me the measuments of your airfoil(spoiler) please :worship: it looks sooo good, i just want that on mine lol

Thanks!

Wow...thats a big project that you have undertaken, but it is good to see something being fabricated from scratch in this day and age. I have shown it to my father (ex RAAF sheet metal worker) and he rekons that you are going about the process the right way, but on a fairly large scale for a backyard job.

Good luck with it, I look foward to seeing the finished job (y)

(Also, that rear spoiler looks the beez neez :yum:)

Thanks every body for the welcome.

Brae91 here are the specs of my airfoil, not as big and as tall as the Dallara specs. The whole spoiler assembly cost me about $60.

Length: 48"
Width: 14"
Thickness: 2"(1 1/2" has a better silhouette as I later found out!)
Clearance from the rear bonnet: 10"
Overhang:10"

This was what I used, less aggressive than the original Dallara, but is pleasing to look at.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
During the process of fabricating a new front valence, I run into a problem. The corner indicated is not easy to form with metal sheets.

PICT0477-1.jpg

So, I thought of placing an air scoop to eliminate the complex bend. The execution is now mocked-up in cardboard. I think it looks good.

PICT0481.jpg

From the side it looks menacing and awesome!

PICT0479.jpg

Another shot.

PICT0482.jpg

Reactions: bkb
I am really impressed! I've watched such projects shape up before but never so quickly.

Just as note - more for everyone else as well. The shape of the spoiler is pretty good but if you were ever to try simple flat surfaces like that at speed you will find it has a substantially higher drag effect and lower lift reduction than you would expect from such a large wing.

This is fine just for show but please do not use such a device at speed (if you can get there).

I have the genuine article from a Dallara in the workshop with the rest of my car, if I ever get the opportunity while it is still off the car I will measure it up for you as reference to dimensions and angles.

That will be a great help Jimbroo.

Anyway, I don't plan on racing the car. It is going to be used by my son who learn how to drive!

Last edited:
Your sons friends will be jealous driving around in that.

I also think the air scoop will look perfect, and like you said a lot easier to fabricate

What kind of indicators and side lights will you have at the front? or have you not thought about that yet

By the way, as I mentioned in my first post I am 48 years and I retired last 2004.

I spent my time doing cars, some I customize as I want it.

Most of them are American Musclecars.

I can post it here if the moderators allow me.

As for lights, I am planning to remove the pop-up headlight and its place put those "little projection lights" (two for each headlight pod) then cover it with plexiglass.I might also put the indicator light inside that assembly.

Last edited:
I am doing some innovation from the original design. I am putting an air vent at the back of the front wheel arches. I will widen the air extraction to relieve air pressure inside the wheel wells.

Added bonus is it looks good!

PICT0484.jpg

PICT0485.jpg

PICT0486.jpg

Back