General Philippine Fiat X1/9

Currently reading:
General Philippine Fiat X1/9

wow .... It looks really well fabricated, impressed.... One question,, Will you have to cut a lot of the original wing away to accommodate a wheel that comes out to meet the arch. some kits the wing is removed at the start.... Just looking at moving the wheels on my X'ey so curious as to your solution.... nice one........

Thanks Kikbak66,

Tomorrow, I will proceed to saw-off the original fenders where the new flares will meet up.

I did not cut it earlier because I use the original fenders as baseline to align the new fenders.

Hopefully we can proceed to weld the sheets after trimming the old fenders by tomorrow afternoon.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
We started doing the sheet metal with the spoiler and the bumper scoop.

I slightly changed the design of the bumper scoop for better aesthetics.

Tack welding the sheets to the outline. Later will be welded full.

PICT0488.jpg

PICT0487.jpg

PICT0490.jpg

PICT0489.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen any thing take shape so quickly, not when it's made from nothing. "cant stop looking"... you have a talent.... wow ...........Phil

Wow deocon

What made you choose the x1/9 as a project?

Did you train as a car body repairer or have you just started since you retired?

Sorry for all the questions mate but i am finding it very interesting,i have been a car body repairer for 25 years but not really got involved in projects like this just every day cars.I have restore old cars but kept them original as i am doing with my x1/9.

Would like to see your other projects please post some pics

Cheers shaun

Shaun,

I ws born in 1960, and begun working on cars when I was 14 years old.

I did my own cars. The engine, the suspension, except the paint. When I got married, I was forced by circumstances to sell my projects. When I retired in 2004, I begun my love affair with cars again. The Fiat is a nice car for my son, they call it Baby Ferrari back in my days. You see my son is a "Special Child" and he loves working on cars. I showed it to him and he right away loved it.

I ca post pictures of my projects, but I hope the moderators will not be offended. As you will see, I am more of customizer than a restorer. It is just me, I want to be different.

Here are two cars I did for friends:

2042498735_7a85ddb2e0.jpg

2042500933_6a554d5a49.jpg

This was the white car. Conversion in metal.

2132971322_aa2416fc20.jpg

2132165521_2c1b623ffd.jpg

Home made rear end.

362305722_b7c69325b3.jpg

A-arms home made conversion.

362305724_b56a394de7.jpg

I failed to mention. I am a Mechanical Engineer. I can turn the lathe machine, weld etc since I was 14.

Last edited:
And for my personal Eleanor which is put on hold because of my son's car.

360374906_4135cf4d5a.jpg

All conversion done in steel.

360343472_bde6b714b5.jpg

I shoehorned a 460(7.6 liter) ford and custombuilt an exhaust for 4 turbos.

473038664_2d45876a03.jpg

Fitted with two intercoolers.

473038676_25aa507ff9.jpg

And they all fit under the hood.

473154201_d1c7aa3798.jpg

The interior of my personal Eleanor.

Space frame.
PICT0003.jpg

I used a Corvette IRS for the rear end.
473038722_a669622800.jpg

Front end is Corvette forged A-arms.
360374907_88ec5a87e4.jpg

My other cars:
2295023833_30387e48d2.jpg

My Corvette:
1393166217_b9287db135.jpg
My "Specild Child" Carlo and his Corvette.
1393163665_0e050053dc.jpg

I will post the X1/9 next time. Sorry for the other pics.

Well if ever there was a man that was humbled, that is I.... every time I click on my eyes get bigger...... I was born in 66 and have messed with car's and bikes all my life, seen some things too, but this is something else.... gunna keep watching.................. Phil

:eek: Holy crap!!!

You have quite a skill, and a very lucky son to learn in that!!

I cant wait to see the finished pics, you have even dragged me back into dreaming about how I can make my car look :D..should be concentrating on something else though :(

Thanks everybody, I am very aware that all of you has the ability to do what I am doing. It is very simple if you only have the patience and the drive to finish the work.

Doing it this way gives you the freedom to better express you self. Because you can always layout the shape you want to do.

When you are using "kits" you will be hampered by fitting the kits to your body. This will take much of your time as opposed to laying it out in round bars. Using kits will also relegate to that basic shape but doing it yourself will give you a chance to modify the body the way you want it.

I have faith that all of you can do it!!!!!

Just learn the right steps. Measure twice or thrice but do it once.

It Monday morning now, I will post pics later.

My helper did not go to work yesterday(Monday), so I did some small revision on the bumper.

I cannot live the front edge looking like this. It looks like a building with a large overhang!
PICT0490.jpg

So, while my helper is out, I added another "deflector" that connects the edge to the spoiler.

PICT0493.jpg

PICT0492.jpg

Last edited:
Deocon, i have been following the progress on your sons x19,i am VERY impressed with what you have done so far ,your son is lucky to have a father with the skills and vision you have ,keep up the good work(y)

Last edited:
Nice project- coming on nicely.

Are you using an arc welder to attach the sheet metal- it looks like it in one of the pictures. I can't do anything less than about an inch without blowing through the metal!

Back