General Horn

Currently reading:
General Horn

merrin

Still working on the X1/9.

Got the horn working again, but every time I turn the steering wheel sharpish the horn beeps. Ive' tried a number of fixes, including using masking tape to try and stop then contacts coming together accidentally.

Does anyone know a fix for this.

Sorry for the succession of stupid questions, but it's my first X1/9, and with a little bit of fixing up it should be a beauty.

For anyone interested the solution in the end was to dismantle the steering wheel completely clean everything, and put it back together again with all of the screws tightened.

Just out of interest how does the horn unit actually work? Is there a switch inside the plastic unit? Or is the circuit made by the contact on the outside? What do the 2 brass contacts and the brass ring do?

I can't say for sure on your specific car but the horn push on the wheel is just a spring with a wire running between those two contacts.

The column has two brass rings, one for each side of the circuit and the horn push just completes the circuit between the two - effectively the steering wheel becomes one big push-to-make switch

Back