Technical Electronic ignition

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic ignition

shaun

Established member
Hi,i have been given a Sparkrite sx2000 electronic ignition.Is it any good and worth fitting because i think it is quite old.I am on a bit of a bugdet so i do not want to spend any on a new system.Thanks Shaun

From personal experience with anything bearing the brandname "Sparkrite" I would just put it in the bin. The odds of it still working the way it was meant to is pretty slim - the company wasn't well known for its quality control or reliability and that was nearly 20 years ago when they still made them!

As an alternative I would suggest something like a megajolt kit but I can't find anywhere in the UK that does them so you'd have to get one from the USA (I assume since you have a sparkrite kit that you are in the UK). $90 buys you the MAP version of the "MegaJolt Lite Jr" kit (easier to work with on an X1/9 without a throttle position sensor) - thats about £55 by the time you've had it delivered. You need a 4 cylinder coil pack to go with it (extra £'s but the Fiat coilpacks are plentiful enough) and some time to assemble it. The downside is that it is a mappable system so you also need to spend time building and tuning the map.

If you don't know the first thing about electronics then this is likely to be too much of a learning curve - the best thing in that case is to spend some extra pennies and buy a lumenition kit. They are easy to fit and get runnning and very reliable.

The final option is to convert to the electronic ignition system used on the early Uno 1300s (non-turbo, non-FIRE) as barring the distributor shaft swap it is a direct replacement. However I've been told that these are becoming extremely hard to find owing to a distinct lack of Uno's in the breakers yards these days.

Back