General Bertone x1/9

Currently reading:
General Bertone x1/9

luke norman

Hey again , i just found another x1/9, althuogh this is the bertone , 85 or 86 model, After the 78 went bad , i shortley after discovered another one for sale, which is supposed to have minimal rust, hes asking 3000, but his price is very felxible, so im thinking of offering him 2-2.5g for the car, it is originally from florida and has been stored in a heated car garage for hte past 2 years. He said theres only 2 small rust spots which are surface rust, and one of them is very recent , just from being stored, i have yet to look at the car , but i plan on going saturday when the guy returns home , hes very anxious to sell because he is moving across the province and is selling off his cars, so he said he will be home saturday to collect some more items and then leave again on wedneday to go finish plastering and painting his new house. also he told me that the car wont go into third(n) , he said the previous owner struck a rock on the road and put a small crack in the bell housing, how much is it for a new bell housing if you can even get one ? and he thinks thats why the car wont shift into third, but im thinking it needs a rebuild. I know the spots to look for for the main rust , because ive read over this forum and alot of others as well as alot of websites , so just would like some imput on what i should ffer the the guy, the price is in cdn funds , and the car apparently has low kms, and other then the trans and the 2 small rust spots there is apparently nothing wrong with the car ,so ill have to see when i looks at it , so does this sound like its worth buying?

Luke Norman

Problems shifting into third is not unusual and there are a few possible causes, none of which are terminal but all need you to do some level of operation on the gearbox, from just replacing the clutch or realigning the gear linkage to stripping it down and replacing a synchro pair.

Parts are not really available new but there is enough of a supply that you shouldn't be left in the lurch.

When you get to look the car over see if you can get it to slot into third with the engine off. If so then it shouldn't be too bad a job.

Back