Technical Max Tire Sizes - stock wheels

Currently reading:
Technical Max Tire Sizes - stock wheels

erisajd

Anyone have any thoughts on tire sizes for X1/9's with stock wheels?

I know 165/70 is stock, but how big can you go before rubbing?

195/60 13 has lots of nice tires in that range.

185/60 also has a few.

speedometer changes would be minimal with the 195/60's but are they too big?

Can I use the 195/60's on the rears only?0

Boy - I consider myself lucky since I have a big Fiat parts distributor about 8 miles from house .. . .

What do you mean by "stock wheel size"????

Do you mean the 4.5" steel wheels, or 5" mags....... the really late Bertone's came with a 13x6" rim

Either way, the widest tyre size you can LEGALLY use isnt dependant on if the tyre rubs, its dependent on the rim width you have.

this info will vary from country to country, but generally a 185 will require a 5" rim width, if you have 4.5" steel wheels the tyre place (if they are reputable) may not want to fit 185's

In the case of an X19, unless you want to get creative with bodywork, or change to smaller diameter coil springs (in front) the maximum that fits comfortably is 185/60/13

I dont know about over in the UK, but here in Oz, 195/60/13 isnt an available size, they go from 185 to 205 over here.

Our local laws dont allow different profiles (aspect) or rim diameters on different axles (front to rear) but they do allow different widths of rim and tyres to be used on front and back

SteveC

I can't speak for a Bertone 1500 5 gear, but I have a 1978 1300, 4 gear (UK RH drive Edition I think) and 185/R/13's rub.

I use 185/60R13 on the front and 205/60R13 on the rear with no problems. Also using panasport wheels and original spacers. Not sure if you can use that combo on the original steel rims as they are too narrow.

Hi guys,
I'd recommend 185/60x13's on the stock 5J's. They worked best, even with up to 120bhp at the wheels. You can go to 175/50's on the fronts for a better turn-in. 205's are IMHO over tyreing the vehicle.
If you have tyre rubbing on the shocker struts, then I would add another standard spacer on each hub and use Lancia (Chrome) wheel bolts which are a little longer than the Fiat's ones to hold them together!
:)

Hi all,

I need some help. I have 15" alloys on my X19 bertone. Rear tyres are on 195/45 and front are 185/50. My front tyres are rubbing on the wheel arch and i have used 20mm spacers but they still rub and i can only turn the wheel about 1.5 turns. Is there anything i can do to overcome the problem?

Does anyone know what size tyre fits on the front without rubbing and that accomodates a 15" wheel?

Alternatively what solutions are there to the problem? If the front suspension is raised by enough will this stop the tyres rubbing

Gofast,

I also have 15" wheels with 195/50 front and 205/50 rear.
I had the same problem with tyres and I solved the problem by rising suspension by 20mm each side.
Though it may still touch the arch when wheels are fully turn but its not critical at all.

Back