Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2008   #1
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
India 
Timing belt Change

Dear All,

I have a Uno 999 Fire.

What is the frequency to change timing belt.

Also what will happen if the timing belt snaps during running

Regards
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

saibeml is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 29-05-2008   #2
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Watford
Posts: 7,329
Thanks: 238
Trader Rating: 0
Chas Uno has donated!
Air Dodge Champion, Asteroids2000 Champion, Frogger Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Timing belt Change

Quote Originally Posted by saibeml View Post
Dear All,

I have a Uno 999 Fire.

What is the frequency to change timing belt.
Every 36,000 miles or every three years. Whichever is the soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by saibeml View Post
Also what will happen if the timing belt snaps during running
The engine will not run

Seriously, nothing in the engine will be damaged if the belt snaps. 8v FIRE engines are known as 'safe' engines because in the event of a broken belt the valves will not make contact with the pistons.
__________________

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
we got a lot 126 here in Egypt .. a funny car and fun to drive though sometimes i feel like I am sitting on a chair in the middle of the street
http://onastick.net/drew/sinistar/
Chas Uno is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-05-2008   #3
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Papamoa Beach
Posts: 5,190
Thanks: 315
Trader Rating: 1
alexGS has donated!
New Zealand 
Re: Timing belt Change

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Uno45S View Post
Every 36,000 miles or every three years. Whichever is the soonest.
Five years, I would say, based on general advice.

Page 64 of my Mk1 Uno handbook says "Every 100,000km (60,000 miles): Toothed timing belt, Manual transmission oil"

I also want to point out that it's a VERY easy change on the FIRE engine: they just don't come any easier. Lots of access, only one tensioner to slacken/remove, a mark on the camwheel at about 17 minutes-to-the-hour (lines up with notch in cylinder head below cam housing join), a flywheel notch that lines up with the forwardmost line on the bellhousing window, and the crank pulley can be unbolted with small bolts rather than some giant nut.

-Alex
__________________
'15 Giulietta 1.4MA, 14 Abarth 500C Esseesse, '08 500 Lounge 1.4 Dualogic, '08 G Spyder, '71 850 Coupe in bits...

Last edited by alexGS; 30-05-2008 at 02:09.
alexGS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-05-2008   #4
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Watford
Posts: 7,329
Thanks: 238
Trader Rating: 0
Chas Uno has donated!
Air Dodge Champion, Asteroids2000 Champion, Frogger Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Timing belt Change

Quote Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
Five years, I would say, based on general advice.

Page 64 of my Mk1 Uno handbook says "Every 100,000km (60,000 miles): Toothed timing belt, Manual transmission oil"
Page 239 in the Haynes "Book of Lies" states:

Every 36 000 miles (60 000 km) of three years, whichever comes first - Renew the timing belt - 999cc engine and Turbo i.e. models



Quote Originally Posted by alexGS View Post
I also want to point out that it's a VERY easy change on the FIRE engine: they just don't come any easier. Lots of access, only one tensioner to slacken/remove, a mark on the camwheel at about 17 minutes-to-the-hour (lines up with notch in cylinder head below cam housing join), a flywheel notch that lines up with the forwardmost line on the bellhousing window, and the crank pulley can be unbolted with small bolts rather than some giant nut.

-Alex
Yup, it's very easy to change. So might as well do it at 36K miles rather than 60K!
__________________

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
we got a lot 126 here in Egypt .. a funny car and fun to drive though sometimes i feel like I am sitting on a chair in the middle of the street
http://onastick.net/drew/sinistar/
Chas Uno is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 30-05-2008   #5
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Papamoa Beach
Posts: 5,190
Thanks: 315
Trader Rating: 1
alexGS has donated!
New Zealand 
Re: Timing belt Change

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Uno45S View Post
Yup, it's very easy to change. So might as well do it at 36K miles rather than 60K!
OK, fair enough

Now, meanwhile, try selling an Alfa Romeo 166 that has done 100020 km and appears to still have the original belt despite the person I bought it off having said that it had been changed... I had to carve another thousand dollars off the price as it's anywhere from $1500 to $3000 to have the belt changed, $900 in parts alone. Could, of course, go PING any day now. Buyer collects tomorrow.

New cambelt for Uno 45 costs $45 locally and takes half an hour to change. Go figure...

-Alex
__________________
'15 Giulietta 1.4MA, 14 Abarth 500C Esseesse, '08 500 Lounge 1.4 Dualogic, '08 G Spyder, '71 850 Coupe in bits...

Last edited by alexGS; 30-05-2008 at 12:58.
alexGS is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Timing belt change panichat X1/9 7 18-04-2014 13:57
(G) Timing belt change Paul-C Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 31-01-2008 22:23
(T) Timing Belt change ne1l Punto (Mk2/2b) 5 17-04-2007 00:59
(T) When to change the timing belt? $tephenGiles Punto (Mk2/2b) 18 13-12-2006 18:55
(T) Timing Belt - when to change ? Dodge Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 02-01-2006 20:49