General ZC90 gearbox oil

Currently reading:
General ZC90 gearbox oil

Does anyone know where the heck I can get ZC90 (or healthy equivelent) gearbox oil? I've been to 5 shops and all they sell is EP based oil which I'm told can damage the box.
I'm also told using regular 10w/40 engine oil is better than sticking EP oil in? I'm currently driving with EP90 in the box and worried what its doing. It crunches when I change from 3rd to 4th which I hope can be stopped/lessened with correct oil..
Help!

Jaff_Fox said:
Does anyone know where the heck I can get ZC90 (or healthy equivalent) gearbox oil? I've been to 5 shops and all they sell is EP based oil which I'm told can damage the box.
I'm also told using regular 10w/40 engine oil is better than sticking EP oil in? I'm currently driving with EP90 in the box and worried what its doing. It crunches when I change from 3rd to 4th which I hope can be stopped/lessened with correct oil..
Help!

Tis a fiat dealers item only....
(remember to remorgtage the house before traveling to the dealers)

I was just looking over old paper work this week and found that the garage that did some gearbox work last year on juppy had filled it with Ep80/90!:eek:

As money is tight I drained it and shoved in some engine oil designed for older engines (15w/50 I think...) Instantly it stopped the difficult change and some whinning when cold.

There's several threads on here about GL1 spec oil.... Scooter oil has been suggested, as has agricultural oils.

Do a search and see what you think....

Jim

Jaff_Fox said:
So its true engine oil is better than using EP stuff? Thanks.. its good to know that EP stuff is no good.. might make my box behave better when I drain it. I found this oil for sale online.. http://www.oilswell.com/products/indiv/SAE090.php
any thoughts?

Well, it's GL1 and a 90SAE so I can't see what would be wrong with it....

(watch as jaff's new box explodes and he comes to Ireland looking me with a big axe....:eek: )

Jim

haters gonna hate about me reviving an old thread, but any news on this?

the right gear box AND diff oil for the panda 4x4 has got to be the hardest thing to find.

EDIT: anyone searching for the right oil, i have found out "ZC 90 / ZC90" is Fiats name for SAE 80W/90 gear box oil. just letting the world know... Dont use EP oil. use SAE oil!

Last edited:
I've just finished reading

Which Oil?: Choosing the right oils & greases for your antique, vintage, veteran, classic or collector car: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Michell: Books

The author (Richard Michell) highlights the specific issues with GL3 vs GL5 oils and makes some suggestions based on his owning a Lancia requiring that rare Fiat oil.

I certainly wouldn't use GL1 though, if I couldn't get GL3 I'd use engine oil. He explains that an SAE90 gear oil is the same viscosity as 20W50 engine oil but covers the differences in viscosity improvers, detergent content etc.

It's not an easy read but does satisfy the conflicting info all over internet forums regarding modern oils in old cars.​

Back