Currently reading:
Technical Ypsilon 1.4 12v

rita

Hello to all
i was already a newbe with my x1/9

But i want to buy a Lancia ypsilon 1.4 lx with a 1.4 12 v engine
Pratola Serra engine
with a lot off km/miles
anyone now if these engine are good en easy to maintane???

Greetings from Holland

Hello to all
i was already a newbe with my x1/9

But i want to buy a Lancia ypsilon 1.4 lx with a 1.4 12 v engine
Pratola Serra engine
with a lot off km/miles
anyone now if these engine are good en easy to maintane???

Greetings from Holland

Hi Rita. Say hi in the bravo.brava section..most common use of that generation of engine. Adrian Bravo

Charlie

The 1.4 12v engine (found in the Bravo, Brava, and Marea) were not economical. Fuel consumption was as bad as a 2 litre engine, and the cam sometimes needs replacing as they wear from poor maintenance.

To be honest, i would avoid this engine.

OK the engine was not great, but if this one is running OK without a noisy / tapping top-end then it should not be automatically avoided if an interesting older car can be kept in use. If there are problems then yes... replacement parts are difficult to find and you don't want to waste money.

The engine was a good idea in theory, adding a modernised cylinder head to the old Tipo-type 1.4 SOHC engine, but in practice it was disappointing (but not disastrous). Fiat did the same thing with the Tipo / Tempra 1.6, giving it the 16V 'torque' head for the Brava / Bravo / Marea, and this version was successful right through the Multipla and Stilo models.

With these engines the oil supply is the most critical, the pipes feeding the camshaft can become clogged with 'gunk', and so you must flush the oil properly to clean blockages, and use a high quality oil. If the camshaft becomes worn or damaged you hear a loud tapping from the top of the engine, this can disappear if the blockages are cured and the camshaft will still work even if there has been some wearing to the lobes.

I like Valvoline Max Life for high mileage engines, 10W/40 (or lighter) should be good for this car.

The 1.4 12v engine (found in the Bravo, Brava, and Marea) were not economical. Fuel consumption was as bad as a 2 litre engine, and the cam sometimes needs replacing as they wear from poor maintenance.

To be honest, i would avoid this engine.

The Y is a LOT less car to drag around..so could mask some of the engines failings..

If its a nice example..and sensibly priced..why not have it

Charlie

Ok Thanks for the advice

But a small car with a fuel economy like a 2 liter.....
better not
i drive now a 1.1 fire but de body is not that good
this engine i now for the uno i had

Ok Thanks for the advice

But a small car with a fuel economy like a 2 liter.....
better not
i drive now a 1.1 fire but de body is not that good
this engine i now for the uno i had

the Bravo/a, and marea are HUGE compared to the ypsillon,

it may even be the case of where a bigger engine gets great fuel economy..,
there are bound to be proper test figures around on the net for comparison..

Charlie

Oke so just listen too the engine there are no strange sounds
That might work

Thanks

Hi to all ...it was a long time ago

But the car was a special voor me .original sunroof alcantra beige interieur wood on the dash en gold metallic on the outside with original alloy wheels.
the price was 500 euro so i bought it (foto,s are coming up)
the car is driven wel no smoke from the exhaust 267000 km en no strange sounds the gearbox is like new, little noise from the subframe but i have rubbers for mounting over the old ones
little restaurion to do on the floor rust left en the paint cleaning perhaps repainting but it is not al that bad.
i have to chance the cambelt because it sits about 6 years en 50000 km

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

here are the foto,s de camshaft is bad but after 270000km no wonder
de sparkplugs are looking fine also no oilsmoke en carter pressure
so i fink only replace the camshaft

i lookt on the internet ,and there were a few ones one for 70 euro,s en one for 160 euro i don,t no if er is a quitly problem whit it but 70 euro is for me to cheap

is this engine a new one from fiat i here story,s that is the old 1.4 from the Fiat Tipo so a Lampredi but i cannot discover a same thing only the short stroke

I agree, unless you are very lucky an old camshaft for €70 seems too cheap and maybe not better than your camshaft? It depends if it has wear due to oil blockages or just high mileage like yours. It seems your car had a good owner and lots of oil changes over its life to drive such a distance with an original (?) camshaft.

You need to really check before you buy if possible, ask a lot of questions and look at the actual camshaft if you can.

You can read about the history of the engine development here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_128_SOHC_engine

and here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Pratola_Serra_modular_engines

Up to the Tipo (until 1995) the engine had a reverse flow cylinder head with the exhaust and inlet at the rear of the engine, spark plugs at the front. For the Tipo replecement Brava and Bravo (and your Ypsilon) the new cylinder head had 3 valves and a crossflow design, so the exhaust moved to the front.

The 128 engine had a long lifespan overall , nearly 30 years! You could say it was even longer, because the 1.6 Tipo engine grew a 16V head after the Tipo and that continued through the Stilo and other models!

Back