General Yet Another Prospective Stilo Owner..

Currently reading:
General Yet Another Prospective Stilo Owner..

NorthernMonkey85

Ahoy there folks!

Ive been lurking on the forum for quite a few months now getting myself some research about the Stilo and the time has come to finally come out those shadows and delve a tad deeper :D

..Been driving my little W reg Suzuki Swift for a while now but Ive decided to start looking for something a bit bigger, and most definitely safer than what I have (not hard mind!)

I originally looked into the usual Fiesta/Clio/Polo/Ibiza option before realising how cheap Bravos were and that just lead on further to the fact that Stilos wernt that much more expensive which in turn set the ball rolling and I just cant resist really :D Ive always loved the look of the Stilo since they were launched and personally, still think they look great now. The bargain prices of being able to pick up an 02/03 plate car for 3,000 to 3,500 is also a bonus!

The wealth of knowledge on this forum persuades me further to just go for it and buy a Stilo :D

I do have my doubts though, firstly being the old 'its a Fiat'......

Quite a large number of people have tried putting me off the idea, my dad included who just happens to have bene in the trade most of his life working in various (mainly ford) parts departments!

A number of his mechanic colleagues at an independent workshop have also advised against FIAT but im unsure....One of those said mechanics did say 'What about a Corsa?' That just says it all to me really :D :rolleyes:

From what ive read here, the Stilo doesnt sound all that bad, mainly little electrical niggles and probably no worse than most other manufacturers of cars ive looked at like Ford, Renault etc. etc.

My only other concern is the situation with the suspension. It does worry me with what could be quite a serious fault. Ive read about the various replacement springs and Id be willing to get that sorted but I still have my doubts but im sure some of you guys could help allay my worries (y)

A little bit of searching advice & persuading would be much welcome (y)

Cheers in advance if you managed to read through this long first post!

Carl.

welocme to the forum (y)

just by joining your IQ has increased at least 50 points! :p

deckchair5 concluded that the suspension issue is not due to bad manufacturing, or bad designing, or low quality, its just a matter of the stilo being a bit unlucky. if you read his post on why the springs break, you'll realise how easy it is to avoid the situation :rolleyes:

the stilo is a fantastic car, not just because i have one, but because it really is. noone ever gave it a chance to shine, everyone was like, ohh its another fiat rust bucket! damn ignorance :D

just about every issue with the stilo is easily sorted and it doesnt differ to any other model/manufacturer combo in terms if problems.

at the end of the day its your choice, so get out there and test a stilo yourself, im sure you'll love it.

it was quoted in some magazine that noone really knows of the stilo, but put them behind the wheel and they usually buy one (y)

Go for it mate, got a 02 1.6 had it for around 3 months now picked it up for £2990 bargain or what, no problems to date yet and looking at the service history never had any big problems in the past either, (hope i aint put a spanner in the works now lol).

had a focus before i got this and after owning one of the most poular and known cars to the least popular and known cars I can say I will never go back to a focus. the stilo is just as good if not better than the focus, and it looks better.

Id probably make it more of a 65 IQ increase...I must have gone through page upon page on these forums :D (y)

A 3 door 1.6 is what I am looking for though I would possibly consider a 1.2 if it was a minter with low miles, no major problems and a Skyroof :slayer:

As for the Focus comments, I know what you mean. My dad had an 05 Focus, last of the old shape and Id agree totally about them looking a bit bland though thats proably because theyre so common! We havent had any problems with the Focus really apart from when the electric windows stopped working but I do find the seats a bit firm.

As for the rust bucket theory....Weve had our share of Fiestas in the past and WOW they dont half rust! I read about somebody with an 02 plate Zetec S Fiesta which was rusting around the arches so it just goes to show really (n)

But back to the Stilo, I like having something a bit different, hence currently having a suzuki swift as my first car, of which an old fella (also in a swift) waved at me the other day :D

I could do with getting down to a garage and have a test drive in one really, though im sure anything is a better ride than my car (y)

Back