Xeon Bulbs

Currently reading:
Xeon Bulbs

Ham

Xenon Bulbs

Xenon

Any one any advice on using Xenon Bulbs and What type.
Currently have Stillo with Xenon Head lights.
I am looking to by a Croma.
I now need an Automatic.
I have seen one but it does not have Xenon Headlights.
I asked if they could be fitted
but was told they are factory only.
Can anyone confirm this.
MY other option is to change the Bulbs.

Last edited:
by xenon you mean HID's,

they are not like conventional bulbs, they run on a totally different setup and need big magic boxs to power them up.

you can buy aftermarket kits (for both hi and lo beams ~£125 the lot) that fit any halogen equip'd modern car.

the factory kits are often better as they are some 4600k (hertz :confused: ) frequency which generates the most amount of visible white light.

higher numbers like 5800 and 6200k are also popular aftermarket, but you get less light than factory fitted HID's. anything higher than 8000k is really just a statement, doesn't produce much more visible light than good quality halogens.

find the car you like, buy aftermarket 4600k, or therbouts, takes about an hour to fit, and almost anyone can do it (same as changing a normal bulb, but you have to find somewhere to bolt/zip tie the ballast boxs under the bonnet somewhere)

by xenon you mean HID's,

they are not like conventional bulbs, they run on a totally different setup and need big magic boxs to power them up.

you can buy aftermarket kits (for both hi and lo beams ~£125 the lot) that fit any halogen equip'd modern car.

the factory kits are often better as they are some 4600k (hertz :confused: ) frequency which generates the most amount of visible white light.

higher numbers like 5800 and 6200k are also popular aftermarket, but you get less light than factory fitted HID's. anything higher than 8000k is really just a statement, doesn't produce much more visible light than good quality halogens.

find the car you like, buy aftermarket 4600k, or therbouts, takes about an hour to fit, and almost anyone can do it (same as changing a normal bulb, but you have to find somewhere to bolt/zip tie the ballast boxs under the bonnet somewhere)

Thanks for that.

I am after a Croma Automatic.
I take the point about the Kelvin Rating.
By big magic boxes I take it you
mean Capacitors and the Ballast aka choke is an Inductor.
Can you recomend a good setup for what I need.
I will be sorry to see my Xenon's on my Stillo go,
Best lights on a car I have had.
Hope to have the new motor soon.
So I will have to get the Garage to fit them,
They have said thay could fit Xenon bulbs.

Not what I am after though.
I know if the car was new and not an after market fit
it requires the Xenon's to be self levelling and have washer system fitted to the Head lights.

As an after market fit they would pass an MOT.
Although the Higher Kelvin may cause problems.
Not requiring self leveling or a washer system

I asked if they could be fitted as an after market fit but was told
they are a Factory option only.
I am hoping to get an ex Fiat Management Demonstrator.
with very low mileage.
Could not afford the new price.

Hope you can point me in the right direction here.

As an after market fit they would pass an MOT.
Although the Higher Kelvin may cause problems.
Not requiring self leveling or a washer system

even with retro fitted you still need to satisfy the same criteria to have road legal HIDs. self levellling and washers are needed, but so far MOT stations are not enforcing this. once it becomes more common things will no doubt change.

find yourself a scrappy then, and get the whole headlamp unit as one, and any associated wiring and plug it all in there (not sure if ANY stilo's have washers, but they do have leveling), then there won't/shouldn't be any MOT problems.

stilo's DO have plastic headlamps adn lenses' so yeah, proper HID headlamp (wholeunit) would be a better more sensible thing to do.

cost around the same amount, maybe £100 for a pair of HID capable headlamps and their kit, as scrappers know what they are worth now :(

Thanks all for the info.
I currently have a Stillo with Xenons, but am in the process of changing the car.
I intend to get a Croma.
Except it does not have Xenons as standard.

I was looking for the best option.

I can under stand them needing self leveling,to stop dazzle,but why would they need washers?,does it harm them when they get dirt on the lens and switched on for a long period of time,but then you could drive for days with out using your washers when your lights on????????????????????

rate, a few things about HID's that I know (that i know at least)

1) they are not rated in terms of hours of usage, but instead the number of switch on's, as obviously the charge builds, peaks, releases, then teh bulb effort flares due to the surge, theres only a certain number of times they can withstand this abuse. when you turn them on, leave them on rather than turning them on and off, the amount of power they consume is negliable.

2) dirt on the lense (esp plastic) can cause them to flare off in all directions (as the frequency of the light is far higher than any halogen).

3) you NEED hid's :worship:

Back