Technical X250 air filter housing fix

Currently reading:
Technical X250 air filter housing fix

Techno100

The guide section has too many hurdles (This might explain why there is only one and it has no helpful pictures.) so to keep it simple for me I'll contribute this way.

X250 air filter housing woes

This is a standard lid fastening screw, on the right new on the left corroded and rounded out from the wrong type of screwdriver being used at some time.
The correct tool is a long reach PZ2 screwdriver NOT any shape or form of Philips!
CA_03301416480200-M.jpg

However the main problem is the fact that the screws used are completely inappropriate (not fit for purpose)
My own filter housing lid had one fixing snapped off completely out of frustration or complete inability to remove the fourth screw.
I found a seller offering a complete new housing with filter at £64.99 and took that option as the cheapest fix I could find.
My remedy for the standard screws was to replace them with self drilling roofing screws with M8 heads.
CA_03271413583045-M.jpg

CA_03271414260452-M.jpg

I decided to not replace my existing lower filter housing as it means replacing the securing bands on the in and out hoses and nothing wrong with it either.
So I screwed each screw in by hand first in situ to cut the threads
CA_03281413245032-M.jpg

Should be no future problems
CA_03281413250999-M.jpg

Last edited:
I have followed your posts on MHF but not been able offer appreciation as not a subscriber; however as I am about to join the X250 indefatigables ;) I am thankful you are now posting on here (y)

Bringing this back up as a reminder.
You need to do this before you have a problem.
Once the screws have corroded you can't get them out, trying to drill them fails.
I also had to replace the whole air filter assembly.

I replace them as a matter of course with Stainless steel ones, that aren't quite as tight a fit.

I replace also replaced mine with Stainless steel ones, 2days after at the 2nd Fiat service @4years old .
When I asked why they had not changed the filter they told me that they had taken the filter out and cleaned it and replaced at the service !.
No witness screwdriver marks on the rusty screws and it took me 30mins to remove them as some of they rounded the heads to get out .
I took the dirty filter in the the main dealer and asked what part did they clean as it not been removed from new .Thus I wont be going back there again . now its out of warranty

Same issue with corroded screws, used Dremel with thin grinding blade to cut screw driver slot, not easy but managed to remove the screws.
what are the stainless steel replacements and where can they be obtained please
Stefan

I was just wondering if anyone knows what size screws are needed as a replacement? Many thanks

Back