Technical X250 3.0 puff of black smoke

Currently reading:
Technical X250 3.0 puff of black smoke

nigelvan

So, I think this is normal but I want to check with other owners of the 3.0 EURO4:
In some conditions the van puts out a puff of black smoke. I think this might be normal because of the rpm going down suddenly and load put on the engine resulting in a momentarily too rich mixture. But I want to be sure the EGR isn't starting to stick...
- When shifting back uphill from 4th to 3th (low revs), or from 2nd to 3th uphill
- When driving up the levelling blocks
- When stuck in mud or something and there's wheel spin

Is this normal behaviour or should I check this further?

In my experience, 5 years with a 2009 3.0 Euro 4, I have never seen any black smoke under any circumstances. In fact the only time i ever see exhaust emissions, light grey, is at night with a vehicle close behind, under heavy load after a long period of light throttle use.

And I take yours isn't fitted with a DPF either (I think the EURO4's are not)

Yes, no DPF which I think is an advantage! Mine has done 140,000 now and is still all original apart from the throttle body which was changed prior to my ownership

Mine does the same, sometimes I get a puff of black smoke when pulling from low revs, 132k miles. Interestingly I had no smoke when the egr was disabled, I have also replaced the throttle body about 15k ago.

Mike

Ok, I also replaced my throttle body about 20k km ago. Probably I'm worrying about nothing... Now, I realised that if the EGR would be stuck open I would see smoke a lot more, and would probably see the fuel economy/power drop. I remember reading a similar post about a guy with a motorhome who had his 3.0 remapped and they tried fixing a similar thing in the ECU mapping but failed to do so. So maybe it's just normal with these engines. But I thought I would ask here as many still drive the 3.0 EURO 4.

Its also worth checking the vacuum solenoid that controls the egr, it lives under the the scuttle below the join in the middle and can corrode due the water ingress. The poor scuttle design has caused lots of issues with these vans.

Mike

How can I check the vacuum solenoid? Visually it seems in good condition, I took it apart to repaint the corroded plate it is attached to with Hammerite...

I'm aware of this leaky problem. Cost me a new throttle body (previous owner let the van rot in the rain for god knows how long...) I used silicone to seal the windscreen but after a year I need to do it again with a more flexible substance. I will use butyl (sikaflex) this time... This plastic scuttle part is quite expensive now. I think I might try to design something with the 3d printer if I have the time. Or just make sure it's sealed again properly.

Its also worth checking the vacuum solenoid that controls the egr, it lives under the the scuttle below the join in the middle and can corrode due the water ingress. The poor scuttle design has caused lots of issues with these vans.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I cleaned the whole EGR + heat exchanger. Wasn't too bad. Now I noticed the solenoid doesn't do much. When unpowered it is open and applying 12V to it. I feel a slide vacuum on the hose coming from the vacuum line, not like it's going to suck my finger in...

Hi Mike,
I cleaned the whole EGR + heat exchanger. Wasn't too bad. Now I noticed the solenoid doesn't do much. When unpowered it is open and applying 12V to it. I feel a slide vacuum on the hose coming from the vacuum line, not like it's going to suck my finger in...
Nigel. Do you have a vacuum gauge? If you do you could check vacuum on the tube into the solenoid and then the tube to the EGR. AFIK the EGR operation varies with the throttle opening, I think it is Closed at full throttle and partially open at part throttle including tickover to varying degrees.

The solenoid on my van had seized due to the water ingress so I replaced it. On the side of the valve should be a Pierburg part number and you may find that part cheaper than from Fiat sites as it is used on other vehicles.

Mike

Hi Mike, I think the solenoid is still working after opening it up and putting some wd40 in. There's not much that can go wrong... Seems everything is working fine now. My fuel economy has improved after cleaning the EGR, MAF and MAP sensor. Could also be the Total Diecyl I put in the tank...

So, I think this is normal but I want to check with other owners of the 3.0 EURO4:
In some conditions the van puts out a puff of black smoke. I think this might be normal because of the rpm going down suddenly and load put on the engine resulting in a momentarily too rich mixture. But I want to be sure the EGR isn't starting to stick...
- When shifting back uphill from 4th to 3th (low revs), or from 2nd to 3th uphill
- When driving up the levelling blocks
- When stuck in mud or something and there's wheel spin

Is this normal behaviour or should I check this further?
Hi, Been watching this thread as I too have the same issue on my 3.0 Euro 4.
I have spent a lot trying to sort it without success and now just live with it as the moho drives well and it causes no real problem.
I have replaced many parts - air & fuel filters, throttle body, EGR, EGR Solenoid valve, all Intercooler pipes, pressure tesed Intercooler, had injectors removed and checked, had ECU software checked. No dash error lights ever. Have not replaced MAP sensor as no codes shown but does report error when unpluged so seemingly working OK.
Did you or any other posters ever resolve this?

Hi, Been watching this thread as I too have the same issue on my 3.0 Euro 4.
I have spent a lot trying to sort it without success and now just live with it as the moho drives well and it causes no real problem.
I have replaced many parts - air & fuel filters, throttle body, EGR, EGR Solenoid valve, all Intercooler pipes, pressure tesed Intercooler, had injectors removed and checked, had ECU software checked. No dash error lights ever. Have not replaced MAP sensor as no codes shown but does report error when unpluged so seemingly working OK.
Did you or any other posters ever resolve this?
No, it still produces some smoke when shifting up and accelerating hard or going uphill. I guess it's normal?

Back