Technical x250 3.0 EGR Cleaning?

Currently reading:
Technical x250 3.0 EGR Cleaning?

nigelvan

Hi all, looking for some advise.
I have a 2007 3.0 X250 with 140 000 km on the clock now. Because we use it for long term traveling I thought it was a good idea to clean the EGR as part of preventive maintenance. I followed the eLearn instructions (EGR Valve R+R) and removed the air duct above the EGR, next step according to the instruction is to remove the EGR from the exhaust manifold. But seeing the amount of rust on the bolts, and the fact that those are allen key bolts, I see where this is going next... If I really have to remove these in order to clean the EGR, I think it's best to leave it alone until there's really a problem with the EGR.
Is there a way to clean it without taking the valve and cooler off? Around the valve itself are 4 tamper proof torx screws, there's some pink gasket material coming through (maybe someone was in there before?), but from the throttle body I know these snap off easily as well. I attached some pictures to clarify.

Attachments

• 2022-07-15 12.35.01.jpg
    2022-07-15 12.35.01.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 156
  • 2022-07-15 12.35.05.jpg
    2022-07-15 12.35.05.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 57
Nigel. Don't try to remove the 2 bolts into the manifold they will snap, BTDT, on the flexi tube above those bolts is a clamp like an exhaust clamp, remove this and you can lift the egr out

egri (2).jpg

Also check the vacuum valve under the middle of the scuttle is working as it should be, they suffer water ingress. also check the throttle body and manifold as they get a lot of carbon deposits from the egr.

Mike

Hi Mike, Thanks for helping me out here, mate. It seems releasing the clamps is a good idea. Will keep you posted!
I do have quite some gunk in the intake manifold, I would say like 1 mm thick.
I noticed after putting another 25000km on it that the thermostat is stuck a little bit open so the engine has been warming up slower than usual, which probably contributed to soot build-up.

Back