Technical X1/9 Tranny Linkage Bad?

Currently reading:
Technical X1/9 Tranny Linkage Bad?

shawninohio

Hey to everyone here...

Issue's yet again on my 86 X1/9 journey.
Got a Tranny Linkage problem I believe.

When I raise the rear end can shift smooth into any gear.
When car is flat on the ground can't shift at all.

Is this the Linkage messed up?
Lollipop or what...

Thank you to everyone here

Has the nut and bolt on the link rod come loose? Had it happen on my first x and couldn't get 5th and reverse.

May just be the issue.
Probably should get a new Lollipop and hardware to be on he safe side.

My first worry's were a bent Fork.
But it would have to be the entire set of them if that were the case.

I doubt you could of bent it unless you've been off roading it!
There is a rubber piece in the lollipop link, they can fail with oil contamination.

If it worked fine and then just suddenly went, check the tightness of the link bolt
First. There is also a nylon greased joint at the base of the gear lever where it joins that long runner to the tranny...could be play there.

How do you raise the rear end? Could it be that your engine mounts are perished and allow it to move around?

Engine mounts are fine....
There's something most likely between the shifter and where the linkage meets the fork.

Has to be between there.

My father is having trouble with his 1978 1300 at the moment. Can't get reverse. I fixed it nearly 20 years ago by fitting a new "ball socket" to the gear lever. See drawing item 11.

I made it on a lathe but appears to have gone again. Is there anyone selling these?

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
The parts were fitted by a mechanic Dad uses and all went together fine. It still would not go into reverse though and picked up like that.

I had a look at Easter when visiting and found there was still some slop in the bottom pin on the gear lever.

The car had a different arrangement to the picture. On this one the ball is split and held in place by a spring. The bottom pivot is moulded plastic. This fits over a 10mm pin that is on the shaft going to the rear. The plastic was worn which was obvious when you held the shaft, you could rock the lever side to side. I wonder if mechanics are stuck if a computer is not attached these days?

I found a piece of tube that was 10mm ID and drilled out the moulded plastic to suit. Pressed in place with a vice and used anti seize on the pin. No slop now and all working.(y)

If I had had more time I would have ordered a Glacier bush http://www.ashleypower.co.uk/Glacier.php

I get these from a local engineering supplier.

If you have the arrangement as shown in the Haynes manual then get new plastic bushes as shown as part 2 in the diagram.

Back