Would you die for your religion?

Currently reading:
Would you die for your religion?

how does that explain WW1, WW2, Cold War, Falklands and iraq?

WW1 and WW2 = Christians/ Protestants vs Jews.

Iraq = The Western religions vs Islam (don't forget that the Gulf War and 11/9/2001 set all this off)

The Cold War was about power games and the Falklands was about land territory. However, religion can influence how a country develops (Argentina is Catholic I think, and Russia has orthodox something or other). So no, not ALL wars are directly caused by religion but you can be sure that where there's a war there's some form of religious influence behind it somewhere down the line.

Last edited:

Iraq = The Western religions vs Islam (don't forget that the Gulf War and 11/9/2001 set all this off)

The Cold War was about power games and the Falklands was about land territory. However, religion can influence how a country develops (Argentina is Catholic I think, and Russia has orthodox something or other). So no, not ALL wars are directly caused by religion but you can be sure that where there's a war there's some form of religious influence behind it somewhere down the line.

Take away the word war and replace it with the term problems. Religion is still to blame for the bulk of them. Sadly it's a problem I can't see every going away, as long as some character in a fairy tale book built everything you see around you with his bare hands in 7 days then people will argue over it's merits and whether or not it's right or wrong.

Common sense sadly seems to go out the window at this point! (n)

Last edited:
Would I die for my religion? No, Im on this planet once, and im living as long as I can

I also wont die for my country, Its a patch of dirt in the end of it all, and whats the point of having your own patch of dirt, when you arnt alive to enjoy it :confused:

anyone notice the name lovejoy :
lovejoypreach.jpg

Rethink.
This does not make too much sense to me. During WWI, Turkey (Muslim) was allied to Germany (Protestant/Catholic), which was fighting France (predominantly Catholic) and GB (Protestant), while Austria/Hungary (Catholic) was fighting Serbia and Russia (Orthodox) and Italy (Catholic).
How do Jews fit into this, considering they were dying for all countries mentioned :confused:

Invaded by who? it wont really happen to England in this day an age without a huge amount of warning, and if there is a hostile take over, then as I have dual nationality I shall be on the first plane out :nerner:

Was a general question which I was recently asked to which yes I would fight for the safety of my family.

Dont really matter to me as I live north of border so we'll just rebuild the broken bits of hadrians wall..........well thats when the council get around to it:rolleyes:

Rethink.
This does not make too much sense to me. During WWI, Turkey (Muslim) was allied to Germany (Protestant/Catholic), which was fighting France (predominantly Catholic) and GB (Protestant), while Austria/Hungary (Catholic) was fighting Serbia and Russia (Orthodox) and Italy (Catholic).
How do Jews fit into this, considering they were dying for all countries mentioned :confused:

Sorry, I was generalising that one of the factors of WW2 was the persecution of Jews (and hence the Jewish religion). Germany was (is?) predominantly protestant and catholic, and Hitler/ the Nazis targeted the Jews (as a race and a religion) as the cause of many of their problems. So behind WW2 was the ugly face of religion being involved.

My knowledge of WW1 isn't as good and I think I am wrong in stating that the Jewish religion was targeted as it was in WW2.

Apologies for the mix up, I have a stinking cold and am not thinking too clearly tonight :(

No, they loved this country, and back then it was something to be proud of so I could see why they would sacrifice themselves for the good of the people. They faught a nobel cause, to stop a dictator who would if given the chance, taken over the world and held it under a horrid regime. They didnt fight for this patch of dirt, but for the people within them, and to keep them safe from oppression.

But remember, I am on about now, we have no real worry of that happening again due to the advancement of weapons and alike. Should something like that unfurl, a few button presses and Im pretty sure we'd all be Microwaved

I dont want to be nuked ta, my family go into the army, each generation follows the previous, some come out educated, better people and some dont come out at all. Having experinced the sadness due to the futility of war, I have decided to be a pacifist. I see no current reason why I should put myself on the line. I have no need to fight for my familys safety, because at the moment they all can come with me

Thats my dicision, I want to live a full and happy life reagurdless of the things around me.

Last edited:
Not all of us have the luxury of being able to run away though when the going gets tough. I have no religion so wouldn't fight for that. On the other hand, it's hard to know until you're in a particular situation which causes you would fight for and be prepared to lose your life over. I guess I'd have to be in that situation to find out where my loyalties truly lie. I think I might join T in Scottish-land ;)

in decending order,
fight for my family, yes
fight for my country, yes
fight to protect my car, yes
fight for some bloke called "god", dont think so.,lol

I have had another thought about this...

You do not have the right and are not allowed to end your own life? (euthanasia)

We have homes full of people that have totaly lost their dignity and are ready to die. Yet they have to sit there in there own pi$$ and $hit losing all of their pride.

JoHo can chose to die (allbeit only during operations to save their life!) 95 year old who can't move has to wait and wait and wait.

VERY WRONG

Back