General Would a Punto make it to Mongolia?

Currently reading:
General Would a Punto make it to Mongolia?

TheMongolianJob

Hi everyone,

Im a member of a team called The Mongolian Job and we're doing the Mongol Rally next year, which involves driving from Goodwood, UK to Mongolia an a small car (max engine size of 1.2L infact).

Another rule is that the car has to be 2001 or later (Mongolian importation laws you see - we leave the car at the finish as it gets auctiond off for charity)

At the moment we're trying to decide what car would be best. Our top 3 are Nissan Micra (quite expensive though), Suzuki swift and a Punto.

For more info type 'Mongol Rally' in google (i have under 5 posts which apparently mean i cant post URL's)....Sorry!

Really the main things we need to know are: Interior space, Is the engine strong/reliable? Suspension: needs to be very tough!

So my question to you is: Would a Fiat Punto with 3 people and equipment on board make the 10,000 to Mongolia?

Many thanks, Steve from The Mongolian Job

Though I believe an MK2 would make it , I'd take a Toyota Yaris.I think its way more reliable.About the room , with 3 people in you can fold the rear 2/3 seat part so there will be plenty of room.Suspension isn't a problem(you're not gonna throw it of a cliff right??) , the major one is the engine.

Thanks for your replies!

I like the Bravo idea provided we could get a cheap one thats still reasonably low mileage. I agree about the Yaris as well, but out of our budget unfortunatly!

A Punto is definatly near the top of our list I think!

A used yaris(first generation) is out of your budget while an mk2 punto is??Are yaris more expensive there??About the Bravo it's roomy yeah , but I believe that it's too big for an 1.2 engine..It wont be able to pull it's legs!!!When you say that your limit is 1.2 cc , how strict is that??Dunna if there are any 1.2 MK2s that don't have the 1243cc engine(thus>1.2).If you can go for it , I'd say get a punto with the 16v 1243 engine (ELX not the Sporting as it's susp is too stiff , it'll kill you)

A used yaris(first generation) is out of your budget while an mk2 punto is??Are yaris more expensive there??About the Bravo it's roomy yeah , but I believe that it's too big for an 1.2 engine..It wont be able to pull it's legs!!!When you say that your limit is 1.2 cc , how strict is that??Dunna if there are any 1.2 MK2s that don't have the 1243cc engine(thus>1.2).If you can go for it , I'd say get a punto with the 16v 1243 engine (ELX not the Sporting as it's susp is too stiff , it'll kill you)

Looking on ebay Puntos seen a lot more common, and cheaper than a Yaris.

Also the 1.2 limit could probably be stretched to 1243cc because its down to the organisers descretion.

And thanks for the advice!

The key specifications here are >2001 for Mongolian import (not sure the older Bravo was made this late) and engine 1.2 or less. If they are really pedantic about it, they may not let you field a 1242 cc Punto mk2, since it is 0.042 litres over capacity. This leaves you with a problem since the Punto mk2 doesn't have a small enough engine, and the mk1 is too old.

Back