Technical Worst MPG in JTD

Currently reading:
Technical Worst MPG in JTD

Just filled up today - Dont normally look at my mpg whilst driving - just have it on the standard display, but as I reset it I checked the mpg, was 37.5!!!

Thats the worst its been ever - but I know lots of things can effect the mpg.

I covered 420 miles on that tank, and I know it was all country lanes - all nailing it, so i'm not suprised its lower than the usual 45ish, but am suprised its that low....

Just before I filled up I had a friend in the car behind, and I turned the TC off, and nailed it in a car park - just for funsies, and he said a massive cloud of smoke came out, and it left a big patch of black 'crap' on the floor. Any idea what this is??

All seems well with the car otherwise, apart from the random 'low oil level'/'oil pressure sensor failure' warnings I get every so often. I know if I take it to a garage asking about mpg, and say I get that warning they're gonna say its definately that, which I'm not sure if it is?

I fancy a winter with no problems, so any advice would be welcome!!

I had a similar mpg a few months back. I had filled up using BP standard after using Shell the time before. I stuck to Shell and it returned to normal the following weeks.

Did you note how much you put in (so you know your true average mpg).

Using trip 'B' is handy for instant mpg runs since you can reset whilst driving when engine is hot etc.

Should average 50mpg easy at 80mph

Taking it really careful through towns at 30mph then you should just be able to hold 60mpg (try not to stop)

What's your oil consumption?

The black crap isnt water in the turbo or something is it. I know this might sound strange, but when my car broke down in the floods a few months ago, luckily the aa managed to start it. It was performing as though it was none turbo'd for about 15 miles, and throwing out loads of black rubbish.

It could just be the case that your car was cold :confused:, had you just started it before, as ive noticed that mine throws out a bit of smoke when i start it up first thing in a morning. Thats diesels for you :rolleyes:.

Argo - I use the Trip B - my average on Trip A is 42ish, over 4000miles.

I can get 45-50 on the motorway, sticking at 80/85, but I cant get above that.

I dont know about the water - I guess it could be, but i've been careful to not go through any deep puddles recently as i know my overboost valve needs moving!

The car was cold though - had just driven from home to the station and it was only 12degrees this afternoon....

Ugh I love this car but sometimes hate it!!!

If theres one thing the Stilo doesnt like its water :rolleyes:. Saying that, when its absolutely throwing it down i would sonner be in it then some smaller hatchback.

On a recent **cough** quick 100+ mile run around some interesting roads near me I averaged a meagre 30.1mpg :eek:
Back up to a more sensible 49.6 at the moment (y)

Just filled up today - Dont normally look at my mpg whilst driving - just have it on the standard display, but as I reset it I checked the mpg, was 37.5!!!

Thats the worst its been ever - but I know lots of things can effect the mpg.

I covered 420 miles on that tank, and I know it was all country lanes - all nailing it, so i'm not suprised its lower than the usual 45ish, but am suprised its that low....

Just before I filled up I had a friend in the car behind, and I turned the TC off, and nailed it in a car park - just for funsies, and he said a massive cloud of smoke came out, and it left a big patch of black 'crap' on the floor. Any idea what this is??

All seems well with the car otherwise, apart from the random 'low oil level'/'oil pressure sensor failure' warnings I get every so often. I know if I take it to a garage asking about mpg, and say I get that warning they're gonna say its definately that, which I'm not sure if it is?

I fancy a winter with no problems, so any advice would be welcome!!

I was just going to start a new thread called "Smoke Up / MPG Down!"

Then I found this thread Creapy?

I have the exact same symptoms (I have not been thrashing around though!)

I also have not moved my OB valve.

Anyone able to offer help?

I simply enjoy that little black cloud in which I leave the cars behind when I strongly press throttle in 1st gear. :D

Fuel completely sux here, and it's nothing wrong with stilo.

My worst average was ~32mpg (7.3l/100km). Usual average is about 35, because I mostly drive on heavy traffic jams (16km/h average speed, Aircon on). I think that it is amazing good result. Petrol engine would've performed at least twice as worst.

I cant get more than 45 in regular driving, I had 47mpg ona 300 mile round trip with clear motorway driving at 70mph.

I have had it angel tuned about 3 weeks ago and havent noticed a drop in the fuel use and have not driven it harder than normal, if anything its getting an easier life as the car pulls so much more strongly I don't need to push the throttle into the carpet as much.

I too get a lot of smoke and sometimes at night can see a constant haze in the rear view mirror if a car is following.

The car is showing 2000 miles to service and oil isnt too bad on consumption.. about a litre per 5000 miles.

My car isnt to bad with smoke once it is warmed through. Only when i put my foot down at night can i see wisps of smoke head towards the following cars headlights. :D.

Its kind of quite strangely exciting and thrilling to watch in a way.

Managed a new record today:

Duration: 1 hour
Average speed: 3 mph
Consumption: 17 mpg

Stuck in massive traffic jam in the middle of Bournemouth! :cool:

It's a funny thing but traffic jams don't seem quite so bad in a Stilo :)

The Stilo is a good car for sitting in in a traffic jam because theres not many about. :D.

Sat in one at York today for a bout an hour moved about a mile before really getting about 5mph.

Must have counted at least 30 Mondeos, 30 Focuses, 5 million corsas LOL etc etc. Not a single Stilo :cool:.

I live in traffic jam over the Belgrade bridges. The most important part of the car is aircon, diesel engine and good music - all of that Stilo has.

Back