Technical Worse Ever Mpg - Save A Punto, Dont Make Me Drive It Off A Cliff!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Worse Ever Mpg - Save A Punto, Dont Make Me Drive It Off A Cliff!!!

salmanansari

BLACK FIAT PUNTO MK1 1998 6OS 1.2

Fellow punto owners, this is my 2nd n mayb last post b4 i take my dear punto to tht punto heaven or blow it up!!! After reading some posts ppl r complaining abt a bad mpg of 28,29...30. And if u thought tht was bad then hold on to ur seats.......mines working out to be around 22/23MPG!!!!!!!! (feel the pain ppl)

On a full tank from almost havin the reserve flicking is cost abt 36-38quid which is pretty standard (Btw i have a 1998 Punto Mk1 1.2 60s - 81k on clock) And by the time its all gone im gettin abt 230-240 miles on a full tank. Altho i have slighty modded the car but i dnt race or hardly evr speed. Gear changes r avg n sensible driving round town.

The car was serviced abt 6-7mths bac so dnt think tht can b a issue, the only problm tht i think it can b is tht i have 16" alloys on BUT with diff tyres. The front has 185/50 and the backs r 195/45.........plz dnt ask y they were like tht frm whom i brought them from.

PLZ PLZ PLZ if anyone has any idea then let m knw. I went to a tuning garage but they said tht the punto have the ECU n therefore cannot b manually tuned like the older cars.

can always bring it to us for a diagnostic check! :)

I wont make any guesses at what the problem could be, although i do see frequently people getting less than that without complaining.

custard

thats not too bad is it? cant really comment as my turbo drinks optimax like a weedgie drinks buckfast :)

MATT 68

Banned
you say-

Save A Punto, Dont Make Me Drive It Off A Cliff!!!)

(y) Dont sound that bad to me, let me know when youre gonna drive it off a cliff and ill take it off your hands and i wont charge you:yum:

could be aproblem with a sensor. or maybe a fuel leak ?? have you checked for any patches under the car. make sure you check with engine running aswell incase leak only occurs when engine is running there fore you wont normally see a pacth after parking.

HP

I was only doing 80...
Change the plugs and leads, air and fuel filters, oil and filter, check the cam timing, then look at lambda sensor.

faster4_tec

Burninator of threads!
do a search, mine had this problem and couldn't shake it for 400miles (ouch).

previous people with same problem had been getting 27/28mpg, I was driving it like a nun and getting 23mpg!! and in town 21mpg!!

I got really frustrated, took it to my friend at a fiat garage and they said nothing wrong with ecu, yet on the gas analsyer it was aboslutly throwing the fuel out, I was worried it would have killed the cat but it seems OK now.

No idea what fixed it, but I just tried reseting ecu, changing coil packs, yet it still did it. So I gave up, changed the coil packs back and took it on a long run (well 2hours just driving as hard as possible) thrashed it a bit, came back refilled and then drove about as my usual and it was back to normal? I really don't get it, but it seems a lot of mk1 puntos have had this problem.

OP
OP
salmanansari

salmanansari

uno_94 said:
you say-

Save A Punto, Dont Make Me Drive It Off A Cliff!!!

in your title? il give you £50 for it, when you dropping it off :)

lol, as tempting as tht sounds m8 think i'll stay open to more offer. and cum on my baby aint worth £50...........still got the rear spoiler to go on yet, wat u think.

And after reading some posts ive decided to do a quick service on the car. Being a 1998 model dnt think its had a new fuel filter aswell as new plugs n oil filter so b gettin a lil greasy tomw ;)

One last thing, any thoughts abt those EcoTeK valves tht r available on ebay??? a m8 did have 1 n said did do sum improvement but ive heard they make a funny noise like a carton being squashed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ECOTEK-POWER-...032121224QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Attachments

• Photo-0120.jpg
    Photo-0120.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 33