worrying engine problem

Currently reading:
worrying engine problem

T

T

i started my car this afternoon to go home and the car felt very strange. after the initial rev burst on ignition, it got back to about 1000rpm and the whole car shook for a bit. it was very noticable since the car always feels so solid.
then as i pulled out it started shaking again - similar to how it feels when you pull off slowly with too few revs, but i was over 1500 easily. this made me realize that i have recently felt weird in pulling off when the car is cold (that feels like it's wheel spinning - where it gets grip then slips). as it warmed up it seemed ok again but i'm a tad worried.
i recently topped up the oil and it seemed surprisingly low, but there's no leaks.
any suggestions as to possible problems? it's a 1.2 with 7500miles.
thanks.

Clutch slip?

If you had a feeling that the wheels were spinning then it's probably the clutch. Perhaps you are losing oil through the crankshaft seal onto the clutch. The judder is classic for an oil contaminated clutch.
However, an alternative view on the oil may say that this early in it's life the engine will burn oil until it's bedded in. Expect to have high oil use up to 5000 miles and medium oil use 5 - 10,000 miles and to settle down after that.

Oil missing

I agree with Brad the oil has to go somewhere and you're not burning it so it's probanbly going into the clutch housing through the crankshaft seal.
To ad my two penny worth, I have a 1.2 and it hardly uses oil at all. I'ver only put in 1/2 litre since new as topping up and it's now on 30k miles. (I've done oil changes of course)

Big job unfortunately as gearbox out, new clutch and oil seal.
Good luck. Hope it's under warranty

Untitled

yeah, it's still under warranty :)

i was thinkin against it being the clutch because of the shaking when it was at standstill. but at least it's something i can ask them to check at my service.

i also thought that it may have just been something weird with the fuel injector maybe just playing up. i remembered after that i had started it briefly at lunch just to let someone out and maybe that affected it.

hmmm, i'll have to find a shell garage and put some of that go juice in it. yes, that'll fix everything :)

thanks.

My cup runneth..

Just a thought here on the sequence of events. Could it be possible that you overfilled your engine oil to such an extent that it caused overpressurisation of the crankcase and blew the seals out? Are you certain it was low on the dipstick? Are you sure where it should be on the dipstick? If you did then be careful of your words to your garage as warranty may not cover deliberate acts of sabotage!
Just a thought!