Worried and Need Advice

Currently reading:
Worried and Need Advice

M

Mark

Hello all,

I went out to my car early in the morning and had some problems.

I had to turn the engine over for about 6+ seconds with the gas pedal to the floor to get it going and after I rev the crap out of it and remove my foot from the gas pedal the revs drops to zero and the engine cuts out.

I then had to to go through the starting process again (at least 4 more times) including the 6 plus seconds of engine turning over.

I did however get going after I had thrashed the revs and therefore got the engine hot.

My first thought is that maybe the choke wasnt working and therefore after I had got the engine hot it didnt need the choke anymore and that why it stopped cutting out.

Strangly enough the exact same thing had happened to my friends Alfa 156 last friday night and It was ice cold out just like this morning.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Mark

They've been a few posts on the forum with similar problems as the ones you've described.
The problems seems to have been with batterys and starter motors so check those first.
Keep us updated.

starting

Better watch flooring the gas cause if any petrol leaks into you're cat, you could feck it. Don't think its a battery problem, cause mine would only turn over twice before dying.

Trouble shooting hint

Trouble shooting hint
1. Insufficient Intake
-Malfunction of manifold absolute pressure (MAP)
-clogged air cleaner element
-malfuncttion idle control valve
2.Malfunction of fuel injection control
-corection for engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT)

Steps
1. Check for leakage at intake manifold
-loose or broken hose
2.Clean air filter element
3. check loose hose at MAP
4. Check wiring harness & terminal voltage (constant supply) at:
-MAP
-ECT
-Throttle position sensor (TPS)
-ignition coil
-ECT
5.check resistance at ECT eg at 20 deg cel 14k ohm to 17.8 ohm.

good luck