working on the side

Currently reading:
working on the side

just to add,i have claimed benifits.1 months worth wheni dropped out of uni :eek: till i got a job.
was a crap job but the stigma of having to deal with the types who were the mainstream of the 'clients' in job centres was enough for me.
no shame in claiming,it did what its meant ot do.saved me being homeless whilst looking for work.
theres tons of jobs out there,i know it can be tricky if you lose a high paying job so have the mortgage commitment to balance but JS isnt the answer.

another interesting point is all your years working mean nothing.its the last 3 years that count so i was told in no uncertain terms i wasnt entitled to anything bar the basic (whatever its called) payment.
respect ot job centre staff as it must be a bloody hard job dealing with the types i saw but they seemed to recognise people who are truley looking for work as i got treated with respect every day wheni went to use those job machine things.
handy tip is go 1st thing when they open.only people there are those requiredto sign or true job hunters

My apologies for the slight error, still more than what Alex said it was for the age band :p

if you've got a family and a house to support you would get a new job asap. thats the point.

I see where jugs coming from here. At the end of the day, I see that most people must not want jobs hard enough or just don't have the qualifications, Or as I think, have been at Uni for 4 years for a History Degree, where they know its sodding useless.

Most other people just miss opportunities, cocked about in school or just can't be arsed to get off their arse.

Even when I finish Uni i'll have my part time job so i don't see how many people complain about finishing uni and having no job. Not having a job whilst at uni due to not being able to handle workloads is just ******** and most people know it.

I'm not ranting on forever, but most people get the idea where im going.

if you've got a family and a house to support you would get a new job asap. thats the point.

Whereas in todays employment market Jug has a very valid point, this same philosophy would NOT have worked back in the early 90's. Back then there was a massive recession that put 4 million people out of work. I was one of them. You'd send of 100 job applications and be lucky to get one reply. There simply wasn't enough jobs, so short of creating a job out of thin air you were stuffed. The 1970's also heralded periods of high unemployment and industrial unrest, as did the early 1980's. Back then there were many claiming benefit because without it they simply wouldn't have been able to survive or risked being made homeless.

However the 'underclass' have made a mockery of the benefit system and we have produced a 'benefit culture' of people who have no intention of surviving on anything except benefits. They should NOT be confused with the same people who genuinely want to work but through no fault of their own find themselves unemployed.

With the job market as it is currently I think the only way of dealing with the benefit scroungers is to bring in workfare. There is virtually no excuse for not getting a job now as there are plenty available if you really want one. Stacking shelves might not be glamourous but it still pays a wage much greater than basic dole. Therefore claimants should be given three (or maybe six?) months to find a job, and if after that time they haven't then they should be compelled to work for their benefit or have it withdrawn. That way they have the choice of working full time every week (they could sweep streets, maintain the community, clean graffiti etc.) for £60 dole money or get a real job earning at least two of three times that. Not a hard decision really and plenty of incentive to get people away from long term benefit claiming.

By the way, doesn't look like the OP is going to say any more on the subject as he/ she has been somewhat quiet since that first post!

With the job market as it is currently I think the only way of dealing with the benefit scroungers is to bring in workfare. There is virtually no excuse for not getting a job now as there are plenty available if you really want one. Stacking shelves might not be glamourous but it still pays a wage much greater than basic dole. Therefore claimants should be given three (or maybe six?) months to find a job, and if after that time they haven't then they should be compelled to work for their benefit or have it withdrawn. That way they have the choice of working full time every week (they could sweep streets, maintain the community, clean graffiti etc.) for £60 dole money or get a real job earning at least two of three times that. Not a hard decision really and plenty of incentive to get people away from long term benefit claiming.
that gets my vote, it helps the genuine cases and gives the bums motivation to work. (y)

the jobcentre's "new deal" is a type of workfare system, but its a joke, im not sure if they still do it. once you sign on for more than 6 months you get put on new deal where you get forced to do training and even voluntary work in some cases, but in reality it only meant going to college once a week for job club and sending empty envelopes to employers. yes that really happened week in week out, people posted empty envelopes just to satisfy the requirement of applying for 2 jobs each week. they tried to make me do a forklift truck training course, i said i had far too many qualifications to get a job like that so what is the point, eventually they agreed, now i wish i did it just for the crack.

Last edited:
the jobcentre's "new deal" is a type of workfare system, but its a joke, im not sure if they still do it. once you sign on for more than 6 months you get put on new deal where you get forced to do training and even voluntary work in some cases, but in reality it only meant going to college once a week for job club and sending empty envelopes to employers. yes that really happened week in week out, people posted empty envelopes just to satisfy the requirement of applying for 2 jobs each week. they tried to make me do a forklift truck training course, i said i had far too many qualifications to get a job like that so what is the point, eventually they agreed, now i wish i did it just for the crack.

I had a mate on new deal he was put to work with the council painting and papering old dears houses. They had him doing a 30 odd hour week. Half what I do but then it was for a fair bit less than half what I get paid.

what a responce,if you read my question i said i was offered a few days work,thats all, i also said it wasnt right, and i never said i would not declare it dont jump to conclusions.the crux of my question was [should employers offer less than the minimum wage] but let me say that to call people who have lost there job from ie redundancy,relocation,or any other reason,dole scum is not on,that is why i paid taxes,the same as NI because there may come a time when i would have to use them,thats why there are there,but dont class everyone the same.scroungers and dole scum. and for all you lucky people who are working have you ever have fiddled your expences,or taken a long lunch break,this is also cheating

Back