working on the side

Currently reading:
working on the side

I have a few acquaintances like that - happy to claim from the taxpayer but too big and clever to stack shelves or sweep floors. Misplaced pride perhaps?

Not lumping everyone in the same boat here - I'll repeat again that some people give others a bad name! But sadly there are a lot of people like that :bang:

i know of some people which have been turned down jobs in supermarkets, even if it's a job they've done while at sixth form etc. but there is a lot of people who like you say would rather be on a little amount a month than working doing some such job untill a more suitable job comes up which means they'd earn more money.

ideally do the work for less than £2.50 an hour then once your mate has signed anything shop him to the cops, and then jump weighted down into a water filled quarry (we don't want to burden the coroners do we)... although bare in mind you may be needed to testify at some point in the future... so tread water for a week or two.

I think that might satisfy some of the Dickensian idiots roaming around car forums.

At the end of the day your going to do the work... the only arguement is for how much... you could always do a poll and take the print out of the result to try and convince your 'mate'

I currently work in retail and would really really like some extra money, I'm working voluntarily as ICT support and a large organisation too. I work voluntarily in the vain hopes that someone will employ me professionally as several qualifications do not count as experience.

If I could get some extra cash in somehow I'd do it. I too have never been unemployed since 16 but it doesn't mean I have anything to show for it. More money would do me just fine.

Also, if I ever leave my job I'm never going back into retail. Not because retail jobs are for losers, but customers are the dumbest people to ever live and if I have something in my hand at the time of next dumb customer action they will recieve a solid yet fair blow to the face!

I'd think of it as paying myself back if I were to comit benefit fraud :p gosh such a harsh phrase.

for the record I've considered it.. and consider it all the time.

It's thanks to dolescum like you that decent but unlucky people get a bad name :mad: If you can work, get off your fat ****ing arse and get a proper job :mad:

helz gotted angry :eek:

she scary! remind me not to **** helz off next time i see her :p

oh and, if you commit benefit fraud, im gonna drop kick you :) i dont see why if you can do "work on the side" you cant work full time :confused:

helz gotted angry :eek:

she scary! remind me not to **** helz off next time i see her :p

oh and, if you commit benefit fraud, im gonna drop kick you :) i dont see why if you can do "work on the side" you cant work full time :confused:

ts not exactly easy finding a full time job, ive been looking for quite a few months now and am struggling to find anything, so im still stuck on 15hours a week(n)

And I presume that the OP spends at least 8 hours a day seriously looking for a legit job and taking advantage of the miriad taxpayer-funded training and learning opportunities provided :)

And I presume that the OP spends at least 8 hours a day seriously looking for a legit job and taking advantage of the miriad taxpayer-funded training and learning opportunities provided :)

Sorry but that has to be one of the most condesending and arrogant things I have heard in this thread. :(
Since the op has only posted once in this thread how do you know if they have or havent?
Also 8 hours a day would be wasting your own time searching for a job after around the first week of unemployment.
You can go through every job at the local job center in around 30 mins apply for them all in less than a day.
You can then spend the next day searching for jobs on the internet.
You can then spend maybe 3-4 days phoning around companys in the local area.
So after a week you have applied for almost everything going and cold called almost every company in your area. Bearing in mind that after a period on jobseekers the local area is all you open to you. Try running a car on £82 a fortnight. ;)

So after the first week has passed how do you spend 8 hours a day searching for a job?

Your lucky if it takes 30 minutes a day to check all the new jobs at the Job Center and the internet after that. You have already called everyone local.

So tell us what do you do?
For some reason all I can now think of is a Harry Enfield sketch where tory boy is in the back of his mums car going to school past the Job Center with a queue outside it waiting for it to open and he shouts out the window get a job you lazy bums. :(

i dont agree with working while on the doll.

Ever see that chav family that was in the sun paper a few months back?

Their council just renovated a old hotel and furnished it and pay them loads and loads in doll and child benifits because they have something stupid like 10 kids. (older ones are right chavs! (n) )

the husband even admitted that he was offered a decent job at asda and refused because he earnt more on the benifits!

the house they were given was worth £500,000 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pah.....the benefits situation in this country is a joke.

Im currently on Jobseekers as Ive finished uni and relocated (pending commencement of a full time job)....I've been looking for casual / temp work in the mean time (sufficient to cover the JS Agreement Ive had to sign).

Due to paperwork on their side and slight changes in our situation on our side...they still can't get the payments correct (10 or so weeks after initial claim started).

At present, we're on £27 / week in benefits, so our savings are taking a hit and a half...but for all the hassle involved (signing on is a royal PITA), if I could have started earlier or taken on a temp job that would befit my skills Id have gladly done so as its a lot less hassle!

Going back to the JS Agreement...its feeble at best. Whilst I agree good / apprporiate jobs don't grow on trees, they can be found with proper legwork. In securing the post I'll be starting next week, I was actively searching in evenings and free-time between uni committments, often applying for 2-3 posts a night, averaging 5 a week for full apps. The JS Agreement Im on says I have to write to 2 employers a week and check the local paper once. In comparison to what I have done previously, that seems like a remarkably poor effort.

Oh and then theres the obscure dependants rule. I can work 18 hrs a week (at effectively any wage) before losing all benefits (as can any JSA claimant), but my partner can work upto 25 hrs without affecting my 'half' of the JSA claim.

Its alright for a tight spot, Im not negating that, but I couldn't hack it full time. Id rather just work

there shouldnt even be a jobcentre or jobseekers allowance, finding a job is the responsibility of the individual, not the state. create motivation to work and people will work, no need to support them.

we should all claim benefits and avoid taxes in any way we can to punish the state and make the current system impossible to maintain. together we can make a difference. to beat the cheats you must join them.

Last edited:
What about if there was hardly any jobs? What about if everyone you applied for didn't think you were suitable?

Every job I have applied for (Over 50 jobs) I haven't even had a reply. :(

Oh and I am claiming JSA, so if you wanna have a go at me, feel free. :)

What about if there was hardly any jobs? What about if everyone you applied for didn't think you were suitable?

I can see where youre coming from really if you can't travel an appreciable distance...as there isnt really that much work going in your area from what I could find whilst I was up there.

Its a sad situation, as your area aappears to have had no investment in a very long time...although the whole NW coastline is delapidated...it seems to have hit Morecambe worse than most because of its relative isolation.:cry:

Giving people no help at all is not the answer, it will just give us a massive increase in crime rate. America has that system, you can only claim benefits for a maximum of 3 years in your entire life. In places where work is extremely hard to find then you would be right in the sh*t, particularly with a family to support.

Back