Words per minute

Currently reading:
Words per minute

Kier

Prominent member
Evening all!

I was having a quick look though my job description for a job that I want. Under the 'person specification' it says 'Must be able to evidence excellent keyboard skills (at least 30 wpm)'.

Any ideas how I go around this? I've done one of the tests online (55 for those that are interested), but no idea how I put this down on the application form...don't really want to put '55 WPM on XYZ website' :LOL:.

Any help/ideas would be great!

30 words per min in nothing. I've just done a test an managed 28wpm on my iPad and that was on a touch screen keyboard and with scrolling up and down to see what I was supposed to be copying!

I think it's a nominal requirement to help rule out people who can't read and write well and have bad computer skills, can you show them you have good computer skills? Have you done any courses recently or was typing/computer use part of your previous job?

I'm not worried about being able to do the 30WPM, its just putting it down on the form that I'm struggling with.

I have 6 criteria that has to be met in the job description. Then, on the application form I have to explain and give examples of these.

Criteria A is 'Must be able to evidence excellent keyboard skills (at least 30WPM).

Whats the best way to put that down on the form that I can do the required WPM?

All I can think of at the moment is

'I have many years experience with using computers, as such I have excellent keyboard skills, and have a word per minute count of around 55.'

Should I put that I did an online test?

Should be ok with the Kier. Tbh with the wording of that section being as it is they seem to already have someone with bad computer skills working for them :p

'Must be able to evidence', I mean wtf. Should be something like 'must be able to prove' or 'must be able to demonstrate' surly. Lol.

The use of the word "evidence" in this context is perfectly acceptable and is in fact, pretty much standard :)
I agree that it doesn't sound quite right though. Maybe if it said "You must provide evidence...."

Anyway, Kier - by all means write down "I have many years experience with using computers, as such I have excellent keyboard skills, and have a word per minute count of around 55." or words to that effect, but this needs to be "evidenced" i.e. supported with some kind of visible proof. I suggest you do a few more online tests and print your results, even if it is just a print screen of the page that states your typing speed.
This is becoming standard in both professional and academic portfolios, and should be quite acceptable in your case - especially considering there is no other way to 'evidence' your skills. (y)

If I were applying , I would assume they would test that if it got past an interview and this would be the evidence they were referring to rather than providing anything in writing.

:confused:

Assumptions are the mother of all F**kups :p

Never assume take the time to print a few screen shots - for the sake of a small amount of effort that little extra might show prospective employers that you have initiative and can use it ;)

Assumptions are the mother of all F**kups :p

Never assume take the time to print a few screen shots - for the sake of a small amount of effort that little extra might show prospective employers that you have initiative and can use it ;)

Went for it in the end, had enough room for it, so why not.

Finished it at last! Took me forever, got right to the end of it and put 'off' rather than 'of' so had to re-write it all over again!

screen shot of the website test ;) :p

Capture.JPG

2nd go
Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Back