Woooooooo!

Currently reading:
Woooooooo!

KirstyTL said:
well done paul...far too many numbers involved in that for my liking!
lol, wel we could have done with an arty student like yourself at the pub quiz, 8 chem eng students doesn't exactly hold a huge mix in terms of knowledge even if we had more A*s that the rest of the room put together :p

This is the easiest work I have done all year, wish it was all like this!

Had more than my fair share of science now. Got an AS in chemistry that I'll never use, same with physics...I think all they did was solidify my dislike of numbers.

dont need bloody AS's to solidify my dislike for numbers!

TashyG said:
dont need bloody AS's to solidify my dislike for numbers!
The best thing about numbers is you usually know if you're right. The worst thing is with most number based science/maths if you don't know where to start, you have big problems!

I feel that way with a lot of my recent work yet some friends on "easier" courses can get a good proportion of marks by just repeating what the question suggests and what they have been told.

pghstochaj said:
I have to use Van Der Waals to work out the volume of one mole of gas for different conditions, Pv = RT doesn't work properly, it's just an estimation. Van Der Waals considers other forces etc. Problem is it's a cubic so basically to solve you need a computer. You then use Newton-Raphson floating point iteration to find out the volume. Sadly I have to do the same for Redlich-Kwong (similar to Van Der Waals) sadly it isn't converging, must have an error somewhere :( Interestingly this is the easiest work I have done for 6 weeks!

Estimation! pah, works ok for me!

Sounds very very scary that Newton-Raphson floating point stuff! WTF is floating point? :eek:

Estimation would have been fine, trouble is it is a mini-project for the "numerical methods" course which we have 1.5 weeks to submit a report on :(

I thought floating point was another name for N-R as it doesn't use a single point like "normal" itteration but converges quicker through using the gradient. Maybe I just made the name up?! Sounds good anyway!

pghstochaj said:
Estimation would have been fine, trouble is it is a mini-project for the "numerical methods" course which we have 1.5 weeks to submit a report on :(

I thought floating point was another name for N-R as it doesn't use a single point like "normal" itteration but converges quicker through using the gradient. Maybe I just made the name up?! Sounds good anyway!

Ouch. Numerical Methods hurt. A LOT!

As for the N-R thing...yuve lost me totally! :eek:

Well NR relies on you doing "previous guess - f(guess)/f'(guess) right? Unlike normal interation which relies on the curves and sort of "tie lines" NR relies on the gradient of the curve giving you a better approximation to the next point, hence converges quickly.

NM is "ok" - not as bad as the proper maths we have to do, just has a few weird bits!

haha, I think the dots end at just what, although you're missing off the house and grounds.

This topic doesn't suck, this topic rocks, simply because it's a symbol that I AM NOT A FAILURE :D

Back