Technical wont start and head gasket gone or more?

Currently reading:
Technical wont start and head gasket gone or more?

Joerachy

Speedgear is fun!!!
I hope someone will help us to pin point the actual problem:confused: My mate drives Punto 1.2 16v ELX speedgear 2001 automatic, he travelled to Wales from london and when he returned he noticed a oil dripping down the engine and he called a mechanic to diagonise the problem and he said its head gasket:bang: which I thought as well. Since then, the car wont start and he just bought a new battery into the car. I thought maybe there is water in the cylinder or I'm just guessing based on the fact that the car drove down to Wales and back, just decided to pack up. Please I just want to know if this problem has actually cause a serious damages to the cylinders or we'll need another engine:cry: so he can decide on what to do with it please. I appreciate every contribution. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Oil down the outside of an engine is not indicative of head gasket failure.

Start at the beginning.

Does the sump still have oil in it?

Has the level of oil in the sump changed (plus or minus) since the pre trip check?

Is there still coolant in the system?

Again, has the level changed since the pre trip check?

Has the head gasket been changed and it won't start, or not?

Cheers

D

Thank you Rallycing for your post. To be honest with you, we havent done anything with this car at all. Since the journey, he hasnt even bother to start it, I just tried to start the car 2days ago but the engine didnt start. I planning to get it of him as he is a bag of nerve and he has already got a finance for another and he's inbetween scrapping or sell it and thats the reason I want to know if the problem is more than I can cope with, I will just let him scrap it. The car still in a mint condition just the problem. I think there is still coolant in the system as I quickly have a look. I will try and have a look at the point you raise and come back and give you the info.

The oil is actually coming out inbtween the head and block where the gasket lays. I dont really know much about cars engine, that why I need you all. Thank you.

There is still abit of oil in the sump as I dont know how much all should in it.
The oil level is still between min and max but discoloured.
The coolant has a brownish stuff under it when I dip a stick in it but I'm not sure is oil.
That was all I check. if there anything else you want to know, please let me know. Cheers.

You're right scrapping will be an option but I just want to try a bit of effort if it will work and if it works, it means the car is mine :) . I have order the HG compression tester and I will be back to give you update. Thank you all for your contributions. I'm grateful.

Here is the update to my last post. I know its been awhile since I update the post, I was trying to get the answers to the questions I've been asked. Ok, I have checked the oil sump and there is still oil in it, also the engine oil has gone down compare to pre trip. and the coolant has really gone down that you can hardly notice any from looking through the coolant bottle. I have planned to change the gasket but I am confronted with the 16v engine
P13-11-10_15_53_01_.JPG
which is more of a complicated/delicate to handle. Here are so pictures:
P13-11-10_15_51_01_.JPG
P13-11-10_15_54_01_.JPG

That fist picture is the dip stick showing the colour of the oil as I have never expected it to be that dark probably I'm wrong???
The state of the oil sump before I checked it. On the third pic, the oil seems to be more on the right side of the engine and wet and that I dont understand. Lest I forget, I have dip a finger in the coolant, there is no sign of oil at all and the compression test fingers99 suggested, I order one on ebay and it never turned up after 5 days and seller refunded my money telling me its out of stock! I am a bit confused.

Last edited:
Back