Wobbly Bolts and Universal Wheels

Currently reading:
Wobbly Bolts and Universal Wheels

longsh07

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you guys think to fitting wobbly bolts and universal wheels?

I've been speaking to my dad about this and he seems to think its a bad idea so I just wanted some more options.

Cheers

Had them on my stilo and wouldnt go there again..4x98 the way to go and did so on my new panda..

Thanks for the replys.
Ive been trying to find some 4x98's but its a nightmare.
So far all the ones I like have been 4x100.
Any ideas where I might find some?

Thanks for the replys.
Ive been trying to find some 4x98's but its a nightmare.
So far all the ones I like have been 4x100.
Any ideas where I might find some?

4 x 98 is standard FIAT, 4 stud (modern) Alfa, Lancia 4 stud and a (very) few SEAT.

Wobble bolts are OK if, and only if, the centre bore is right (it's often possible to get adaptors to make it so). Alternativelyif the et of the wheel is large enough, you can get spacers made up to adapt one PCD to another and incorporating the right centre bore. Avoid universal spacers.

There's actually a lot of stuff/choice out there if you look hard enough (or have a deep enough pocket). Compomotive, for example, have off the shelf stuff in 4 x 98.

Dad is basically right (as usual). ;)

wobbly bolts are fine. its just a normal bolt with a collar that has a little bit of play. perfectly safe imo.

But the point is, they're OK only if the centre bore is correct, otherwise you're imposing a massive bending load on them which they were never designed to take. Sooner or later they'll fail catastrophically under those circumstances.

I should't say anything knowing my luck but 55000 miles later I still have all four wheels attached to the car, wobbly bolts and all. Saying that, I did check on here the wheels in question were a good fit before I bought them (plus both sellers were well known forum members who checked they were OK before THEY bought them in the first place).

Back