Technical Wiring

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring

ok got the stuff and i am not sure where to start
any chance some one could help

I need to know how to connect a switch up to 3 led strips and to a power source

any help is good (y)

ok, electric window switches.

the positive feed for the lights in there, carefully remove someinsulation off that wire. Solder a wire onto that. Run that wire to one terminal of another switch that you've bought. Connect the other side to the positive side of the LED strip. Connect the other side of the LED strip to ground. Anything metal and shiny really - pick a bolt, or just find a suitable ground

I wouldn't say they were crap. I've had no end of problems with wires soldered together (especially if done when you aren't the best solderer in the world,) as insulating them after is a pain, and its a lot harder to remove if you decide to sell the car.

Jon+Em

arc said:
ok, electric window switches.

the positive feed for the lights in there, carefully remove someinsulation off that wire. Solder a wire onto that. Run that wire to one terminal of another switch that you've bought. Connect the other side to the positive side of the LED strip. Connect the other side of the LED strip to ground. Anything metal and shiny really - pick a bolt, or just find a suitable ground

i will be doing this tomorrwo so expect a help post lol

i got a day of work so nothing better to do

yeah - it's why i said up to 'im, i wouldn't use them again - so much hassle, i know if i solder summit its gonna stay connected, where as scotchlocks have disconnected in the past on me! :(

ok look at the back of the switch now and theres 4 legs

so i got some questions

1. if the neg has got to go to the bolt wat do i connect to the switch neg leg?

2 theres a plus and neg leg and what are the other 2 legs for????

cheers

The neg leg of the switch goes to the positive of the lLEDs. Thats how the switch turns the current on and off. Most switches have 2 sets of + and - so it's easier to wire 2 things to the same switch. You only need to use 1 set, the other may be useful later!

So your circuit should go:

Yellow and black wire on the window switch connected to the positive on your switch.

The negative on your switch goes to the positive on your LEDs.

The negative on your LEDs goes to earth.

Jon+Em

so should i connect both pos wires from the led to the window wires???

sorry sound stupid jus dnt wnt the car to go bang

Then positive from the LEDs goes to the switch you bought, and negative to the earth. it should all go in one line,

window switch + to switch, switch to LED +, LED - to earth.

heres a quick diagram to visualize it. The battery completes the circuit buy joining the earth (the entire car body and engine) and the positive, and it also releases the current.
the blue lines should help you see how the electricity moves.

attachment.php

Attachments

• LED wiring diagram.JPG
    LED wiring diagram.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: HP
man i must be so thick really dnt get it

its annoing me now cos i dnt get it

jus wanna connect 2 led strips & one lil led to a switch and the power

but i cnt get it

ohh its really annoying me cos i dnt get it

If you wanna pop the leds , switch and the wires in the post I can solder them up for you? then all you'll have to do is connect the wire from the switch to your window switch and connect the LEDs to earth?

pm me if you want to post them!

Jon+Em

ok i soldered em tonight and when i connect it to a small battery it doesnt turn on and off is that normal cos it aint earth

but will it work on\ce in car???

Back