Technical Wiring up replacement horns.

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring up replacement horns.

Hi guys,

I need some help! I bought a pair of horns for the car off eBay. There is a really comprehensive wiring diagram on the back, which is good, but i'm not sure what bits already exist on the car, therefore causing me some problems of how to fit them:confused:

I've scanned a pic of the diagram in below. In relation to the key...
1. Horn Button
2. Original Horn
3. 2 new horns
4. Relay
5. 10A fuse
6. Connect to '+' on battery
7. 3 pole, 2 way on-on switch for 2 horns or 3
8. To be used only for 2 terminals version

Is this possibly for a comprehensive setup and can I not just whack the horns straight in the existing circuitry where my current horn is?

Thanks for any help, and rep WILL be applied for for all constructive answers.

Gaz

Attachments

• 05-06-06@125252.jpg
    [email protected]
    124.7 KB · Views: 37
i'm guessing you could wire the horn up to the battery as per the instructions with a fuse and then use the horn + as oyur switching signal on the relay.
most likely you could whack it on the existing wiring,they will show that wiring so if you overload your own OE horn wiring then they are covered. ive got twin horns on the NA cinq with no probs

Reactions: HP
I've fitted air horns to a couple of my cars in the past using existing wiring. Give it a go - if it doesn't work all you'll need is a new fuse and to refit the original horn.

my sei has twin air horns they are a pain to wire took 3 hours 4 me lolol if u just really follow the diagram really closely? and just dont forget to fuse it lolol! or ur car cud turn into some little ashes on floor!

benfredjosh said:
my sei has twin air horns they are a pain to wire took 3 hours 4 me lolol if u just really follow the diagram really closely? and just dont forget to fuse it lolol! or ur car cud turn into some little ashes on floor!

Yeah. Gaz's (Wrexham) Sei did that at Skeg cos he fried the ECU by wiring a horn feed into that :eek:

that looks similer to the way i wired mine

it was on a fused line to the battery, but used to turn power steering off and 'code' light on everytime i used them

there was a reason for this and a solution, but i never got round to doing it, i just kept on putting it off, eventually my ecu fried so got rid of them

be careful :eek:

I might just put it on the existing horm wiring, and see what happens. That is fused, so I can't see any problems that will occur. I will check the fuse is appropriate though.

The wiring diagram as shown can be altered by omitting the selector switch and the original horn. Your original wiring at the horn is not strong enough to provide the power for ther two new horns, it may just pop the fuse, it could burn the wiring, or fry the ECU.

Take a wire of at least 28/030 section from the battery, through a fuse to the power side of the relay. Use similar section cable to earth the power side of the relay and earth the horns, unless they body earth.

Same section cable from relay to horns.

That will leave the switching side of the relay which you can attach both the original wires to. I theory it doesn't matter which way round they go, but best practice would be to get it right, it only adds 30 seconds to the job.

Cheers

D

The existing horn does not have relay. (EDIT Apparently the guru(Pete) says there is a relay, but it ain't up to the job of powering the new ones) You should have got a relay with your horn kit. If not, then, yes you will have to buy a relay. As the fuse is suggested at 10amps, then a 10 amp relay will be your relay of choice.

Cheers

D

Last edited:
Back