Wiring up airbag light to abs ;o)

Currently reading:
Wiring up airbag light to abs ;o)

D

Darren

Hey all,

Not been on in a looong time, busy with work and to be honest the car hasn't had any major faults for help with :) (touch wood)

recently I have learned that the MOT this year now states that if I have an airbag then it must be functional. Unfortunately being a Fiat my airbag light has been on since the day I bought it and has never bothered the MOT rules before.

As I need the light to go off (and the airbag ecu is 'fried' according to my local fiat garage) can I attach the light to the ABS light behind the dashboard?
I thought I would ask before I find out that wiring it up would cause the signals form the ABS unit to blow the airbag or burn out the ABS ECU.

Any help is appreciated, I'm hoping I can just cut the light wires and attach them without any issues :)

Darren

cant you just pinch out the bulb?

Buzz
If you see a bandwagon, its already too late!
Iwillbeyou56978.jpg

unfortunately not.

If it has an airbag it has to work i.e. the light needs to come on and off as if the system is being checked.

If there is no light then it isn't working :(

yeah it can be done, reason i know is the dodgy get i bought an evo 7 off did it to that, only found out when we took clocks out to put blue bulbs in lol

so yeah u can

Thanks Ant,

Just done it to my sisters vectra and worked so will be doing mine this week. Now, how to get the dashboard apart... :)

Darren

Just to let you all know it was no where near as simple as I thought (but the end result nded up simple).

After searching round and round for electronic diagrams following them only to find that half of the cables don't exist.
I cut what I thought was the airbag cable and connected it up to the abs cable only to find both lights then came on!
Turns out the ABS & Air Bag both use LED's instead of bulbs and have a backup loop so if the circuit gets broken the light will illuminate to warn you :) Brilliant!!!

In the end I cut the positive arm of the airbag LED on the circuit board and soldered a cable from the ABS LED to the Air Bag LED.
This needed a steady hand and gentle maneuvers to not break the LED's.

Now the ABS light is slightly dimmer than before but both the ABS and Air Bag light now come on and go off.
I couldn't hook it upto the CODE light or any other light as these are 12v and the LED would have blown.

Just some information if someone else needs to do it to get through the MOT

Darren