Technical Wipers Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Wipers Problem

quinlivanjohn

I had a quick search through the forums and cant see my wiper problem.

I have a 2002 Sporting. My wipers ARE working, but think neutral (or off) is vertically up. When I turn them on, the go all the way up and down the windscreen, but when off, the stay pointing up. If pushed down (eek), when the engine is turned on, they pop back up.

Do I need new motors? I dont think so because they work.

It happened for the first time this week after really strong wind and rain while driving I had the wipers on the highest speed (it was needed). When it calmed down and I turned them off, the never stayed down.

Help?

Sounds like your wiper motor has been put on upside down (if that is possible), so the stop point is 180 degrees out of phase, which will leave your wipers 90 degrees out of phase.

The wipers were working fine before the heavy wind/rain, so is there a cog or something that could have slipped?

The wipers were working fine before the heavy wind/rain, so is there a cog or something that could have slipped?

Yes, it sounds like the wiper drive mechanism has slipped relative to the motor. It will be either a splined drive or a grub-screw lock. Make sure that the motor has reached the stop position before turning off the car, remove the motor, pull the wipers back down and replace the motor. They should now be synchronised.

Back