Technical Wiper mechanism on a RHD

Currently reading:
Technical Wiper mechanism on a RHD

david Collen jones

Evening all, i Am restoring a 500l1972 RHD. Unfortunately the wiper mechanism wasn’t included and I’m trying to find out if I can fit a standard LHD wiper mechanism on it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Evening all, i Am restoring a 500l1972 RHD. Unfortunately the wiper mechanism wasn’t included and I’m trying to find out if I can fit a standard LHD wiper mechanism on it.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated

If you look at early cars then you will see that RHD cars actually had LHD wiper mechanisms..
this led some people to believe that early RHD cars were converted after they left the factory....

Very very early cars and specials did not even have wiper mechanisms...

obviously the only real difference is there is a small area of screen that isn't swept by the OS blade.

According to the Motobambino website you can modify the LHD bracket by cutting and welding; presumably to create a mirror image. I would need to see the two side by side to know how easy that might be.
You could follow Big V's advice by making new holes for the wiper spindles in the mirrored locations on the scuttle and welding up the existing ones.
I suspect both of these options will be out of your comfort-zone.
It's fairly unlikely that you will find a new or even a used RHD one.
Whatever happens, note that there are two types of spindle; the earlier ones are thin and the wiper-arms are secured with a small nut, the later ones are fatter and I think they are a push-fit.

RHD wiper mechanisms are very difficult to come across.Other than the advice already given by my learned colleagues, the only sensible advice that I can come up with is to contact either Proietti (in London) or LP Garage (Lucasz Reszczynski, in Sudbury) to see if they are breaking a RHD 500, or 126 and have the parts you require to hand. Proietti might be able to tell you how to modify a LHD system. Lucasz breaks 126s and is normally very helpful. Where about in the UK are you? There might be a forum member with a RHD car close by that you can have a look at and make notes/take photos.

I believe that LHD wiper motors are available new for anything from £55-£100 from usual suppliers if memory serves me rightly... as well as linkage bits

I guess it is fair to assume that the RHD motor/mount is a mirror of this.. as I can't comment as my cars have LHD motors and wipers despite being RHD.

Does make the cars look like they are LHD converted to RHD...

Back