Technical Wiper fault and more

Currently reading:
Technical Wiper fault and more

Lead

I am making this post for many reasons, one of which is to try and relieve some pent up anger. So please bear with me…

It was raining yesterday, quite heavily. I had to go out, so I jumped into my car, turned on the engine, then the windscreen wipers and drove off. Within a few moments the wipers had stopped mid-screen! I moved the arm to another position - nothing. Then another position - still nothing. Then I turned them off - they started to move very fast and then stopped in an upright position; then jerked down and stopped; then jerked down a bit more and stopped again, etc, etc, etc. I had to pull over at one point as I couldn't see where I was going!

Furious, I decided to go straight to the dealer; B&Q would have to wait.

It took 10 minutes to get to the dealer and the wipers still had a mind of their own. So I stayed in the car while Ruth (my missus) went inside to get a mechanic. I wanted someone to see the fault occurring first hand, in my presence. I feared that if they didn't it would miraculously fix itself and they wouldn't be able to find anything wrong.

A few moments later she came out alone and told me they wouldn’t send anyone out. That was it, I was fuming. So trying to remain calm, I went inside and had it out with them. The girl at the service desk wouldn’t budge. ‘We can’t send someone out to fix it’, she said.

‘I don’t want the fault diagnosed, nor fixed. I want someone to see it. I want to make sure that it is acknowledged and you aren’t just going to fob me off tomorrow with a We couldn’t find anything wrong’, I replied.

She was still playing hard-ball, adding it would have to be left with them. So I then asked for a courtesy car.

‘We don’t have any.’

‘Well that’s not good enough. Have you seen the monsoon outside?’ I pointed outside where the rain had got worse. ‘You’ll have to order us a taxi!’

‘I’m not authorised to do that.’

I was finding it increasingly difficult to remain calm. ‘Well I would like to speak to someone that is!’

(I once heard someone on a talk show say, ‘Never accept a no from someone not empowered to say yes’ It’s very good advice.)

Eventually, a more senior member of staff came out to see what all the fuss was about. So I directed my frustration towards him. They then decided to get a mechanic out to have a look at my car. More to shut me up than anything else I think.

Within 30 seconds he said we need a new wiper motor. So we returned to the service desk, where the mechanic informed them of his findings.

We were then told that they had a cancellation and had a courtesy car for us! What a coincidence!

However, the new motor was going to have to be ordered and it would be with them the next day. I then added that the clutch pedal was squeaking and the driver’s door was crunching when you open and close it.

We left the car with them and drove home in a Punto that had seen better days.

6 hours later, at 4:45pm, I received a telephone call at home. It turns out they had a wiper motor in stock and it had been replaced. However, they would like me to delay collecting my car until tomorrow. (Probably because they want to go home in 15 minutes!) Oh, the other parts were on order too. What other parts? I thought.

They had greased the clutch pedal, but couldn’t fix the squeak, so decide to replace one of the clutch cylinders. (I was slightly confused by this drastic intention.) Also the strap for the driver’s door needs replacing and that is on order too. (Yet more seemingly drastic work for curing a mere squeak, but what the heck - I’m not paying for it.)

Are you still awake? For those that still are, I am nearly finished.

I picked the car up this morning and was asked to bring it back on Thursday. I checked my car for damage (I always do this after leaving it with them) and drove home. It started to rain. I turned on my wipers. Within 10 seconds they had stopped mid-stroke. AAARRGGGHHH!!! They hadn’t done a bleedin’ thing!

I was too angry to go back, so I continued home and telephoned them. I have just got off the phone with the service department in the last few minutes. She assured me they had changed the motor. I don’t believe them. ‘Do you want to bring it back to us? She asked. What’s the point I thought.

‘No. Leave it. I am coming back on Thursday, they can look at it again then.’ The call ended.

My head hurts it’s pounding that much. Now my fingers hurt from all this typing. I haven’t any new conclusions to draw from this experience, yet, other than the already well known fact that Fiat are a bunch of imbeciles.

Bloody hell! I wrote this in Word and have just pasted it into the forum. Didn't realise I had written that much. :I

Good for you.

See new Topic about a Fiat Pressure Group.

[:(!][:(!]

Fiat Stillo MW. 1.9JTD
Met. Blue. all Electric. Skywindow..SatNav+
17" 7 spoke alloys.
Rear Parking sensor and Puddle Lights.

......Ham............

While continuing with the course of action that you are taking already, I would strongly advise that you write to the MD at the head office of the dealer group you are dealing with. Thea dealer should give you the address and a phone call to the head office will get you his name.

It's not the dealer's fault the motor's packed in but they should be better able to deal with breakdowns and should be able to fix your car first time when the problem is as obvious as the wipers.

I would be careful about them replacing too much. Although it costs you nothing, if your dealer is a bit crap, do you really want them taking things apart they do not really have too? Double-check with their workshop foreman/master technician that the disgnosis is sound.

Roja

2003 Silver 3-Door Abarth

What if FIAT knew about this?not just a dealer that maybe look only to take money from services with no service.What if FIAT knew how many bad fame is taking from this type of dealers because not all the dealers are so bad.When i went to make my first service and i was waiting in the room they bring me coffee and they was really helpfull they even give me a car to go for my shoppings because they had a lot of cars.Didnt they take you a phone from FIAT central office when you took the car to ask you if youre pleased with the dealer and the car?i really dont have a complain from my dealer and i believe he protect FIATs name as good as possible they even give a car-alarm gift (a GEMINI II) that costs around 500 euro a fiat bag a key ring a pen an umbrella a t-shirt plus the mud flaps was a gift and that cute fiat doll you know (this one i gave it to my cousin :) ) what can i say your dealer sucks

Thanasi!!

Kai gamo tous dealer exeis!! Thats one hell of a dealer you got there! All those freebies! Anyway, i am beginning to be glad that I have not fited all the electronic options. Although I a gudget freak and love all those lights and bleeps and automations, I have the ipmression that I would suffer a lot from their failures!

pantelis
2002 Stilo 80 Active, no alloys, no power tuning, tinted windows, love the sky window though!

That's a realy big problem. I mean, if there are FIAT dealers like that how the heck FIAT is going to cover the millions lost. I will have to agree with Athanasios. What if FIAT knew about this?

PS: Has your clutch stoped the anoying sound Lead? rriggs is right, have a beer!

Andreas (CY)
Fiat Stilo 1.6 3Door Dynamic, Metallic Black, 16" Alloys, Dual Zone Climate Control, Steering Wheel Radio Buttons.

Write to Fiat too. Even if you just send them the same letter as you send the dealer. Large corporations cannot and do not ignore what you put in writing.

...then have a beer ;)

Roja

2003 Silver 3-Door Abarth

Maybe if you could try to find unhappy customers like you from the same dealer having support from them is very important if you send a letter or mail to FIAT ;)

I had a problem with the wipers stopping at random across the screen. It turned out that it was a problem with the switch, or more accurately, the grease which the switch is packed in.

I left the car with the dealer who sorted it out and they also said they'd had similar problems with Puntos. It's been working fine ever since.

The only other problem was with a slight judder from the wipers and whilst it wasn't too bad I mentioned it at the last service. The response was as follows:

"Yes there is a bit of slack in the wiper motor, it's not too bad but we've ordered a new one"

The new part came in and has been fitted and it seems to have done the trick.

Surely they're not the only half decent Fiat dealer in the UK?

My only gripe is that they don't have version 9.7 of the SatNav software. Fiat don't seem to have sent this out to all the dealers yet.

Jon

Picked the car up Friday night. They told me that they replaced the column switch and everything seems to be working again. Unfortunately they got oil on the drivers seat! Can you believe it? How hard is it to put a plastic sheet over the seat? As soon as my carpet fitter bothers to show up and finish the job he started on Thursday (yet another instance of bad service), I can take it back to the dealer to get the seat cleaned.

The driver's wiper arm is still lose though. There is quite a lot of play about the pivot, but they say there is nothing wrong with it. [}:)]

The seat was cleaned and I insisted they look at the wiperarm again. After waiting for nearly an hour, they finally gave me the keys back. There was a fault with the wiper assembly, they hadn't put it back together properly! [}:)] So with those problems fixed, I left.

But the story isn't over yet...

After a day or two we noticed a squeaky-rattle somewhere. I initially thought it was the benchsaw I had in the boot, but it seemed to be coming from the front of the car. The passenger wing to be precise. But it was intermittent and I didn't investigate, mainly because I wasn't driving the car myself that much at the time. (My girlfriend uses it more than me.)

When it was my turn to have the car, I quickly noticed the rattle was getting worse. I thought it was coming from underneath the wing, possibly the suspension. I pulled over and had a closer look - nothing seemed loose, but when I tapped the wing I could hear the rattle! So I lifted the bonnet and had a look...on the lip/join between inner and outer wing, where the bonnet sits, was a rougue piece of metal! About 14" long, 1" wide, with notches cut off of each end, sort of like a tuning fork.

At first I was lost for words; then I had lots of them; then I wondered what it was - was it part of my car? Or was it a tool the mechanic had left behind? I am now inclinded the think it is the latter.

At the time I was quickly formulating what I was going to say to the dealer when I returned, but then I realised they would do absolutley nothing and probably not even admit responsibility, nor apologise. So I have decided to keep it. :I

I think it could be a lever for removing panels that are fixed in place with those little plastic poppers. So it may come in handy if I decide to remove and interior trim to upgrade the ICE wiring! :D

I really do want to go into the dealer and give 'em hell. [}:)] But I just know I will get nowhere with them. At least this way I have something that they will need to pay to replace and it will come in useful...someday...maybe...perhaps... ;)

Bringing up this old topic again but im wondering how your wipers have been since those dealers have had a go at it?

Just that it seems the stilo here has started this problem and has happened for the past few days (only im just told about it tonight, grrr)

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

Use the tool to remove random panels from the sparkly new cars on their forecourt... or give the tool to a group of local 14-year-old chavs and tell them to go crazy :p

(Tell them to leave the Doblòs, mind)

cinqmeister.JPG

The Grammar Fascist

Originally posted by Scorg
Bringing up this old topic again but im wondering how your wipers have been since those dealers have had a go at it?

Just that it seems the stilo here has started this problem and has happened for the past few days (only im just told about it tonight, grrr)

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

I had similar happen in Novermber-ish last year, dark and absolutly piddling it down.. suddernly the driver side wiper stopped mid stroke, oh great... but too late to goto dealers so I decided to struggle home.. at one point I thought I was a U-Boat commander and was in need of a ping to find my range!

to cut a long story short.... they after a small bit of persuasion took my car in that day and found a courtesy car for me two days later after the part had arrived it was fitted and all ok to this day.

On reflection a week or so later... I remembered I had Autoglass change a windscreen a few weeks before and the same wiper arm wasnt fitted back properly by them ( proberbly first time they had seen a Stilo and were guessing as to how to remove replace them ) so the fault was more likely cause by Autoglass rather than a failing part.

But I find if you speak to dealers in a calm way but get your point across to the person that has the power to say YES or NO then you will get what you want raise your voice too much and they will only become resistant! *pepole managment course I went on while working for Kodak taught me that*

1.8 Dynamic, Moire Black, Side Skirts

Great, dealers totally suck c**k!

I've had just as much problems with Arnold Clark, all over small problems compaired to yours, and in 2 visits, where they have had the car for a total of more than 14 hours all they've managed to do was change a single air vent.... :(

I'd be getting worried over the wipers though, i've noted that they don't work as soon as you turn the ignition key, there is a few seconds delay, which to me would suggest some kind of big brother control, say such as the cars on-board computer actually controlling the wipers! B)

53 plate, Stilo 3-door, Sassy grey, Alloys to follow, 1.2 Active, 5-Disc CD-Changer -- 45mpg!

The car is going in on Monday, although im expecting a "no fault found" but they are welcome to prove me wrong on that one

Scorg

02 Stilo Dynamic 1.6
Sky Blue
01 Brava 80SX
Ink Black

I think Scorg the technique with Arnold Clark is take the car in, say there is nothing wrong and that you want to pay for a service, guarantee'd they'll say your pads are worn or such, parts that ain't even checked as part of the standard service! B)

53 plate, Stilo 3-door, Sassy grey, Alloys to follow, 1.2 Active, 5-Disc CD-Changer -- 45mpg!

I just had a problem with my front wiper, again in torrential rain. There was a clunk as I went up the M6 and passenger side wiper stopped moving. Thought I could live with that till i got home. Then the drivers side started making a loud clunk at about 2/3rds of its range but kept going. At first i wondered what bits might be falling off as ive lost quite a bit of plastic from underneath! When i got home I found that when moving the wiper by hand there was a point which was hard to move past and "clunked". Next day when I started the car the wiper jammed at the place where the clunk was. i could push the wiper back but it just stuck again. Luckily it stopped raining and i set off down the M6 only to hit a deluge just after Thelwall. I had to sit on the hard shoulder till it improved a little and limp into Stoke. Taken it to a dealer who has ordered the front wiper assembly. While he had it appart I had a look and it seems a plastic bush joining the linkage to the wiper had perished. The clunk was the now loose arm to the passenger side wiper jamming in the cavity at the base of the windscreen. Cost about £120 plus 1.5 hours labour. I have a warranty but only for 50% due to high milage. I recon I could have fixed it myself instead of replacing but just not enough hours in the day. Anyone need to buy a second hand wiper motor with faulty but repairable linkage?

Last edited:
Back