General Windscreen wiper whine (not blades)

Currently reading:
General Windscreen wiper whine (not blades)

Liteboy

Our Panda Trekking has started to make a loud whine from the wiper mechanism somewhere. I have operated the wipers with the blades up so know its not them. Anyone had this before and can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
The pivot points of the wiper linkages need a drop of oil on them. These are reached by removing the plastic panel between the base of the screen and the bonnet (the ‘scuttle’ cover). I’ll look back for a previous post of mine which shows this

Edit: see here for how to remove that panel. Once off, the wiper motor mechanism can be seen. Be very careful if you operate the wipers without this cover as the motor is very powerful and the mechanism has a scissoring action. Best not to! https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/431064-scuttle-panel-removal-2.html?p=4529477

Took it apart on Sunday and took the mechanism off the car, gave all the joints a light oil but didn't pull them apart. Also found a lake of water under there as all the drains were blocked solid with crud. Put it all back on but the noise is still there but only when it's really cold. Will strip it right down next week when my wife is on her rest days.

Back