Windows upgrade/Office compatibility

Currently reading:
Windows upgrade/Office compatibility

Dominion

haven't got enough lette
Right, I'm a complete mong when it comes to computers, so please help.

My netbook uses Windows 7 starter, and a while ago I bought Microsoft Office 2010 and installed it. No issues there.

My wife now has a laptop given to her by her dad. It is currently running Vista Business. I want to put Office 2010 on that too, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible.

I tried to use the disc that came with my Office purchase, but it says I need to be running one of the following operating systems:

x86 platform
-Windows 7
-Windows Vista SP1
-Windows XP SP3
-Windows Server 2003 SP2

x64 platform
-Windows 7
-Windows Vista SP1
-Windows Server 2008

Now, I'm wondering if I upgrade wife's laptop to Windows 8, would it run my copy of Office 2010 (I'm assuming it was just omitted from the above lists because I bought Office well before Windows 8 was released).
I can get Windows 8 on the cheap, being a student. I can also get Office 2013 cheap for the same reason.

So, people who know a bit about computers, suggestions please, because I have no idea!

Cheers

How many licences on your current version of Office 2010? If one and already on your PC, how do you intend to activate it on her PC?

You should be able to install it on the Business edition though - does she have the latest service packs?

Hi Stu,

I'm pretty sure I have at least two licences, because at the time I was intending to buy a new laptop to replace my tired pc (but I never did). Just checked wife's laptop and it doesn't have the latest service pack apparently. Well, I don't think so anyway - it's currently downloading 28 updates...

Man, all this computer stuff makes me feel thick!

You can install Office 2010 onto Vista no problem, the error message is being displayed because I'm guessing your Windows Vista install doesn't have any Service pack updates installed!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791#Download

Start with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and then SP2 once that's installed. Allow plenty of time they can take hours to install on a low spec computer. Once finished you'll probably find it runs better also :D.

Something to add!

Installing Windows 7 SP1 and Office 2007 SP1 caused a critical error on my PC

never install service packs and Operating systems service packs at the same time!

Ideally, just one or the other and not incremental at the same time to be on the safe side :)

Back