General Windows (again)

Currently reading:
General Windows (again)

Just a quick question-

With hood up:

When I get in the car, to close the doors properly I need to shut them then run the windows a little down and up again as otherwise they almost invariably get left outside the seals with a 4mm gap at the top front. You can avoid this when closing door from outside but not inside. Also if I shut the windows at anything over 40mph a similar kind of thing happens with the glass just not quite making it fully inside the seal.

How many other people's do this, do I need to adjust glass or is it typical?

well, you can adjust windows closer to rubbers by some screws inside doors... try here: https://www.fiatforum.com/barchetta/147006-help-window.html

and... some guy give us some good modification idea that when you open doors windows goes automatically 1cm down, and when you close they goes up. but i think this thread is dead about this... no more response of this guy.

Classic sign of broken window guides.

The windows run up and down on plastic guides, attached to the runners.
if intact and adjusted correctly the window are forced inwards into the rubber seals, if broken the window then becomes loose and when it goes up tends to drop outside the rubber seal.

Have a shake on the window when the door is open, does it feel loose, if it does the this is a sure indication the plastics guides are broke. if it feels tight then you may be lucky and just need to adjust.

Just had my panels recently off and both windows adjusted so as why i know this.

Hope this helps. (y)

Oh, and the bad news , if the guides are broke, apparently you cannot just buy these and a new window regulator is needed. £180+vat from Fiats. :(

the autodrop/lift windows is not really dead.. just on ice... 'cause the guy who could actually build it is currently doing some army time.

Had a look at those guides Henk has at barchetta parts, (y) and
they look much stronger and will definately get some of these.

Have discovered that this is a common fault on the B's and these guides are easily broken as people tend to push the door closed by pushing on the window hence breaking these guides.

Last edited:
Could one not modify a kit from another vehicle with this system, and any idea's which cars have , I think a boxster has this type of drop down system.

a lot of cars have, almost all tin-top convertibles Audi, Porsche, Merc, Pugs, Vauxhall/Opel, VW, etc

Basically, it is not that difficult, you dont need to dismantle your neighbours car to get the system.

You only need to put sensors on the doorhandle mechanism (or better yet on the bars that go from the handles to the lock) - even a simple magnetic or tilt switch might do.

The problem is in the electronics - the opening (or closing) of the switch must trigger a little electronic unit to give TWO "down" pulses on the 'leccy windows mechanism. But ONLY if the car is unlocked (you dont want to see the window lower every time someone pulls the handle on a parked and locked B :))
So, this requires a (mechanical) sensor on the lock itself OR a sensor (plugged in into the alarm/central locking) that "knows" that the car is locked.
Likewise there must be some sensor that detects the door being closed, and then after a few seconds delay gives the "up" pulses that raises the window(s). Now this "sensor" could just be the doorswitch for the interior light - that's easy. :)

So, it comes down to someone soldering the right components together, encasing it in a silicon block with labeled connectors, wires, switches and a little drawing to indicate what to put where.

Now, there are also some advanced alarm units around that provide the interface to automaticly close the windows (roof) when lockign the car. If you got one of them, you are halfway there, as you dont have to worry anymore about the closing of the windows when you get out. Only need to build the unit that lowers the window when you pull the doorhandle :)

Last edited:
UUM! Interesting points, thanks, will look into this some more and definately something to add to the modification list. Who needs a boxster or Merc when my B will be Faster, Better looking and cheaper to run :D:D

Last edited:
Back