Styling window tints

Currently reading:
Styling window tints

i got pulled over done southend sea front and got a straight £30 fine and no points. I think my was either 50% or 40% i had mine tinted to so the dark windows looked nice with the red colour of the car. Can post pics tomorrow if you like to see what it looks like?

John

128v said:
i got pulled over done southend sea front and got a straight £30 fine and no points. I think my was either 50% or 40% i had mine tinted to so the dark windows looked nice with the red colour of the car. Can post pics tomorrow if you like to see what it looks like?

John

Please do. Thinking of getting mine tinted all round right on the legal limit, and my car's also red so I'm curious as to how it would look :D

The car's in anyway.

Had a good chat with the boss and what's being done is:

40% front sides
35% rear sides
20% rear

He's done this on a few now and apparently it looks sweet.

The theory being that the front two will barely be noticably different but the front will still be better at 40% rather than 35%. Then the rear won't be obvious at all (as you won't be able to see the big contrast at the angle between the rear and sides).

And the 20% rear will help balance out the whole thing.

I trust them, they had a new beetle in (yet to be delivered to the new owner judging by all the packaging still on it!) and I'm guessing that the dealer had chosen them to tint it prior to delivery so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Don't really like the new Beetle but this black one was a beauty!

He he, moved up to Scotland mate so been a bit distracted!

The whole lot is going to be £150 which I think is a superb price, especially with their attitude and professionalism so far.

I'm expecting a top class job which seems great value.

Got the car back.

IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't post pics right now cause it's just too dark outside and it looks like a pimp mobile it's so dark.

The drive back was awesome though and it's had a few more admirable glances than normal.

More to follow but the 20, 35, 40 tint is absolutely spot on.

:)

Last edited:
OK here we go.

The pics are big but I hope it will give a better appreciation of the tint.

Bear in mind it's VERY sunny here right now so I'm sure you'll expect some of the tint to have been darker (especially the 20% on the rear).

This picture shows that some levels aren't as drastic as they sound. This is 20%!!!!

DSC01091.jpg

This one is taken at an angle which shows that it can look really dark if you're not looking 'through' the glass.

DSC01092.jpg

And from inside:

DSC1100.jpg

DSC1101.jpg

****ing hell mate, that looks amazing. Really tempted to get mine done like that at some point. Nice colour car too :cool:

It was VERY bright when I took those pics.

And it's a fine line between going really dark (and potentially getting pulled over) and not dark enough.

For me, it's absolutely spot on as I was wanting.

:)

The law is that they must let in 72% of light in the driver & passenger windows, I got mine tinted at r-tec dark smoke u cant see nothing lookin in but inside lookin out, you cant even tell there tinted. Im well pleased with em! always gettin hassle of the old bill though! cost me £320 for all windows to be tinted but truley top notch job and quality dark smoked tints all round which do pass legal requirement & look the business!

Sorry but the law, as it stands, is no tinting forward of the pillars any tint film or spray on the front windows is not allowed.

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/news_legal_update.asp

This page gives a break down of the new rules.

I am not against window tinting, already have mine done (y) 20% front 15% rear, just passing on the info.

Steve

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused, the law says that any window tints that obscure the driver's vision a suitable amount is illegal. Yet, if the windows look untinted from the inside, with the driver looking out, surely there isn't an obscuration to the driver :confused:

Back