Will my insurance be invalid?

Currently reading:
Will my insurance be invalid?

ShaunMck

I was looking through my insurance policies and I notice it say annual miles was only 3,000? Its going to be more like 8 - 10k. I had no idea putting such a low amount!

Will my insurance be invalid after 3,000 miles?

I didnt declare to my insurer who many miles the car had done.

Thanks

Well I did it in a Endsleigh shop and I think they got my details from an online qoute I did. But they worked through the details asking me if they were right but I'm sure they never asked me about mileage per year! But its my word against theirs.

But by the time I'll need to ring them I'd of turned 20 so will this be in my favour at all?

Last edited:
It probably will affect your premium but its best to honest with your insurers.

It will affect your premium, but not by much I would have thought. Age won't matter because you've already taken the policy out. A little problem though is I'm with Endsleigh, and I'm 19, and my policy states a £60 for any changes to policy, which I would have though that would count as one:eek:.

You could get away with it if it you've brough the car from someone else who MOTed it as there is no proof that you done the mileage rather than them, but it's not worth the risk tbh.

Jon.

We get a few of these in court when the insurer has tried to decline liability on grounds of not being told all relevant information. They don't seem to mind if your circumstances have changed and that has resulted in more miles, they just increase the price a bit.

They object when your circumstances haven't changed, as their view is that you lied to get cheaper insurance. Much better to tell them about it before you you need to make a claim.

It will affect your premium, but not by much I would have thought. Age won't matter because you've already taken the policy out. A little problem though is I'm with Endsleigh, and I'm 19, and my policy states a £60 for any changes to policy, which I would have though that would count as one:eek:.

You could get away with it if it you've brough the car from someone else who MOTed it as there is no proof that you done the mileage rather than them, but it's not worth the risk tbh.

Jon.

Bastards. They told me it would be 15.00 for changes to policy in the shop!! hmm. I need to change my term time address aswell. They are going to bum me good and proper

Saying that the mot was done by the previous owner! hmmmm decisions.

Bastards. They told me it would be 15.00 for changes to policy in the shop!! hmm. I need to change my term time address aswell. They are going to bum me good and proper

Saying that the mot was done by the previous owner! hmmmm decisions.

You can't saw it was. It either was or wasn't (sorry to be blunt), But could you see where I was coming from with that suggestion?

It might be £15 for you (lucky sod if so) but on mine it's £60. But I don't know what is classed as a change of policy. I mean Address is I suppose, but dosen't bear a large risk to your policy, unless you move to a really rough area, Where as a Change of vehicle is.

Infortunatly insurance companies have us over a barrel.

Only advantage with mine is that my 2nd address (week days, term time) was supposidly in a nice post code so brought my insurance down:p

Jon.

Hey, doing 3k a year is not much at all, although in alot of cases insurance companies do not check your mileage you are best in increasing it to 10k or however much you feel you will do. I should point out that the premium increase from 3k/4k/5k..... to 10k is hardly worth the worry and in a few cases there have been 0 additional premium

Update!

Rang insurance company, changed my address and increased miles to 9,000!

38 pound more expensive for the year. Its only spread over the last 8 months of the policy because It started in april! So all in all a good result.

They were pretty rude tho but didn't say anything about charging me an adminstration fee but I will be recieving a letter shortly! so maybe that will say! :confused:

Back