Will I get into bother..

Currently reading:
Will I get into bother..

Yazza54

Established member
...for dressing like a minstrel for halloween, going out in town (Manchester) I know it's not a town but everyone calls it 'town'

But yeah I like papa lazarou off the league of gentlemen and id like to dress like that, but as backward as this country is im wondering if someone may take offence?

Nothing racial in it, i just like the character! See link below

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27zbNyf3x4"]YouTube - Hello Dave![/nomedia]

one of the greatest characters ever, but who knows what lurks in the hearts and minds of those who ruin it for everyone else? there's no telling unfortunately

exactly, itll be very funny and i really want to do it, but it seems inevitable that someone will have to make something of it :(

I see where you're coming from however I think it's sad that (as a nation) one has to think wisely before picking a costume from a tv show just because of the whole racism thing. I love the league of gentlemen

I know, theres a lot of mindless people about. I'm gonna just do it and see what happens!

Yeah but the papa lazarou thing is a bit different it's a tv character not a white guy being racist with a black face. Meh, shouldn't even have to discuss this. Bloody joke it is.

These blokes weren't being racist either, they were doing a Jackson tribute.
If you did go along with it, I would just be prepared for any eventuality

Yeah but its a bit more near the bone, white guys blacking up as the jackson 5! That wasn't funny at all, papa lazarou is funny, but it's still almost certain someone would take it the wrong way.

I find it all quite depressing. I'll just go as something I don't want to go as to keep the peace.

Its pathetic in this country how everything is sugar coated and bubblewrapped as to not cause offence or conflict when anyone taking it the wrong way in the first place must be a total halfwit.

I remember the black & white minstrels very well, never made me racist or offended me.....I just thought the show was crap.

I don't like minstrel shows, they are crap... i just said 'dressing like a minstrel' cos thats the papa lazarou 'look' from league of gentlemen. If some people didn't know who the character was..

we only had one TV & there was only 3 channels so had no choice:cry:

You could always have something to associate you (or the costume) with the L.of.G ( a prop or something?) but you still have to remember not everyone knows/has seen the programme.

Well they are quite different looking! But theres a lot of dopes about

Papa.

http://www.billythefish.com/mediac/400_0/media/Papa~Lazarou.jpg

Minstrel.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/african-american-art/minstrel.jpg

Dunno, in my view minstrels look borderline racist and papa lazarou is just funny. But no doubt some utter plank will have something to say. I don't mince my words anyway, if anyone makes a comment I'll tell them where to go!

A (white) mate of mine once went to a fancy dress party at his local boozer. He decided to black up for it. He's not a racist by any stretch of the imagination, he's just got a strange sense of humour.

Anyway, he gets to the pub with his wife and two kids only to realise he'd got the wrong night - he'd turned up on Friday and the party was on Saturday :bang:
He decided to go into the pub anyway thinking people would just have a quick laugh at his sillyness and forget about it. WRONG!

There was apparently a big black fella at one end of the bar, and a bunch of white folk at the other end. Some of these white folk were his friends.
These white people started having a go at my mate in front of his family, calling him racist etc etc until this big black guy pointed out that they should all stfu cos he was just having a laugh, and there was no racism involved.

This is just an example of people being all righteous and going over the top, just to look like they're doing the right thing in certain company. Pretty pathetic really.

If you want to do it Yazza, just do it and enjoy it. BUT keep an eye out and try to anticipate any trouble so you can get your black ass outta there(y)

dont know if its the same comparison (just reversed) or relevent here but 'white chix' was a funny film and no one said anything about that so i'm sure (especially as its halloween) you'll be fine, beats being boring batman/spiderman etc

dont know if its the same comparison (just reversed) or relevent here but 'white chix' was a funny film and no one said anything about that so i'm sure (especially as its halloween) you'll be fine, beats being boring batman/spiderman etc

Definitely! Agree it's the same thing, but it never really gets taken the same way reversed.

Back