Will an abarth engine fit.......

Currently reading:
Will an abarth engine fit.......

Bishbashbosh

Hi all,
Just after some advice, i am looking at putting an abarth engine and gearbox in my 06 mk2b, I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to which one will fit best with the least amount of hassle.
I just don't want to buy a donor car and it not fit right.
Tia

From what Abarth car.. ?

they have been making them for decades :)

HGT standard punto will probably accept a Seicento

But closest modern relative will be the 500 bodystyle

But nothing will be a 'straight swap'
And insurance will biew it badly...

Better buying a factory Built Abarth or HGT

I was looking at the 500 for the swap, as I was pretty sure the only clearance issue I would have is the turbo being too close to the rad, but there are ways round that, unless I have missed something?

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I was looking at the 500 for the swap, as I was pretty sure the only clearance issue I would have is the turbo being too close to the rad, but there are ways round that, unless I have missed something?
Physically fitting something like a 500 abarth engine into a MK2b Punto is perfectly reasonable but there is no straight swap. as an example the gearbox of the 500 and drive shafts may have different splines to the hubs on the punto. The puntos brakes will be massively underpowered for the 135+hp engine so you'd need to upgrade those too.

The suspension and brakes from the 500 would almost certainly not fit a punto and so on. There will almost certainly be a need for some fabrication of custom parts such as exhaust mounts, brackets for things, the wiring for the punto may need hacking about to get it to work with the abarth ECU or you might need an aftermarket engine management system.

If you have the mechanical know how to work all the problems out then its not a massive issue, but give how cheap/lacking in any value the punto is now and how expensive a 500 abarth would be even a donor car with good engine and running gear would far outweigh the value of the punto. The resulting car would be worth considerably less than a 500 abarth.

you also would have to insure it as a modified car which can get costly.

Why not just buy a good 500 abarth which would be lighter than your punto and handle better. also wouldn't need special insurance as a standard car and would retain some value as it wouldn't be mixed bag of other cars parts.

If its something you really want to do go for it, but its not like lego you can't just pop a different engine in, in an afternoon and drive off into the sunset.

Physically fitting something like a 500 abarth engine into a MK2b Punto is perfectly reasonable but there is no straight swap. as an example the gearbox of the 500 and drive shafts may have different splines to the hubs on the punto. The puntos brakes will be massively underpowered for the 135+hp engine so you'd need to upgrade those too.

The suspension and brakes from the 500 would almost certainly not fit a punto and so on. There will almost certainly be a need for some fabrication of custom parts such as exhaust mounts, brackets for things, the wiring for the punto may need hacking about to get it to work with the abarth ECU or you might need an aftermarket engine management system.

If you have the mechanical know how to work all the problems out then its not a massive issue, but give how cheap/lacking in any value the punto is now and how expensive a 500 abarth would be even a donor car with good engine and running gear would far outweigh the value of the punto. The resulting car would be worth considerably less than a 500 abarth.

you also would have to insure it as a modified car which can get costly.

Why not just buy a good 500 abarth which would be lighter than your punto and handle better. also wouldn't need special insurance as a standard car and would retain some value as it wouldn't be mixed bag of other cars parts.

If its something you really want to do go for it, but its not like lego you can't just pop a different engine in, in an afternoon and drive off into the
I trained and worked as a mechanic, all of these points you made are mostly true but it has all already been factored in, I was asking about engine size and fit......the rest I already knew,
As far as the cost of it, that wasn't the question, and also not any concern to anyone other than myself.

Knowing that these cars ( punto and 500 ) are different sizes, years, weights, and mechanically different is pretty much a given, only a moron would assume an engine that will deliver over 135 bhp would be able to use the running gear for a car designed to have 60bhp.

Some people like to do these jobs for fun, not to get a detailed lecture about why it is a bad idea from someone who has no clue about there knowledge, past experiences and financial status.

I welcome helpful comments, not rants
Thank you

It’s best and cheaper to start with a good base car that already have the correct bits fitted. You don’t say which engine your 06 has.

But for example

1.4 T-Jet 120 bhp is good for over 200 BHP if the turbo is changed

And the 1.9 JTD 130bhp
thats been detuned via software

Without sacrificing reliably or doing any modifications you can easily get over 180 BHP and over 280 lbft of torque simply by removing the software restrictions and increasing the boost by 0.1 bar

Horses for courses and all that. A spare £15K in the back pocket and a 400 BHP 16V 1.9 MJet drag car has been done

Swapping to a different engines is no trivial task these days take just the key which is read by the BSI via the antenna and then passed on to the ECU passed back to the BSI then passed on to the instrument cluster to switch the immobiliser light off.

Then there’s all the little things that you didn’t consider like fuel pump flow and pressure.

I trained and worked as a mechanic, all of these points you made are mostly true but it has all already been factored in, I was asking about engine size and fit......the rest I already knew,
As far as the cost of it, that wasn't the question, and also not any concern to anyone other than myself.

Knowing that these cars ( punto and 500 ) are different sizes, years, weights, and mechanically different is pretty much a given, only a moron would assume an engine that will deliver over 135 bhp would be able to use the running gear for a car designed to have 60bhp.

Some people like to do these jobs for fun, not to get a detailed lecture about why it is a bad idea from someone who has no clue about there knowledge, past experiences and financial status.

Thank you
If you have the skills to reprogram the ECU and BSI

Go for any engine you like

Otherwise it will end up an unfinished project

The mechanical parts swapping is the easy bit

Thank you
Great way to behave on a forum as a new member, 🙄

well as you have trained, and worked as a mechanic you should be able to easily work out that the engines are physically the same size all being based off a the same basic fiat fire engine. With the only additional need for space coming from the presence of a turbo.

Common sense should also tell you that the engine from a small car like a fiat 500 would physically fit in a bigger car like a 1.2 Punto.

You see you’re probably the 1000th person to appear on the forum asking about putting a different engine in a car, and given the basic nature of your question about physical size of the engine from a smaller car into a bigger car, like the 999 people before you, it was not a big step to assume you knew absolutely nothing at all.

But as you do so much you’ll be able to crack on now do your engine swap and show us all the results when you’re done 👍😁

You’ll be able to keep up with those in NA HGT puntos

Great way to behave on a forum as a new member, 🙄

well as you have trained, and worked as a mechanic you should be able to easily work out that the engines are physically the same size all being based off a the same basic fiat fire engine. With the only additional need for space coming from the presence of a turbo.

Common sense should also tell you that the engine from a small car like a fiat 500 would physically fit in a bigger car like a 1.2 Punto.

You see you’re probably the 1000th person to appear on the forum asking about putting a different engine in a car, and given the basic nature of your question about physical size of the engine from a smaller car into a bigger car, like the 999 people before you, it was not a big step to assume you knew absolutely nothing at all.

But as you do so much you’ll be able to crack on now do your engine swap and show us all the results when you’re done 👍😁

You’ll be able to keep up with those in NA HGT puntos
Because I'm a new member i should be told I don't know anything? 🤔

If you read further up in the post I said the only clearance issue i could see would be the turbo being close to if not in the space the rad sits, so.......maybe read the rest of the replies.....I think a long time member would understand that?

When its done.....which will be a long way off I will be more than happy to post pics of her

If you have the skills to reprogram the ECU and BSI

Go for any engine you like

Otherwise it will end up an unfinished project

The mechanical parts swapping is the easy bit
I will admit I'm not great with the ecu programing but I have friends who are and I've asked about that,

The abarth engine seemed like the best fit, and it is one I like, the car actually has great sentimental value to me and I wanted to keep her and make her into the best version of a punto I can.

Not the one with the attitude here, I don't berate people for asking a simple question for confirmation of what I had already worked out.
This is why you need to check your attitude, no one berated you for anything (until your unnecessary reply where your threw a tantrum)
Don’t be so precious.

Looking at your history on here asking questions about starter issues you couldn’t work out and oil leaks that you can’t trace, you don’t paint a picture of someone who knows their stuff.

I note other people gave similar advice to me but you’ve not thrown a hissy fit at them so I’ll assume you just decided to pick a fight for no good reason and know to never offer you advice again.

Back