why you should always use axle stands, not just a jack

Currently reading:
why you should always use axle stands, not just a jack

[quote name='Saxscott' timestamp='1291716963' post='14698']
As some of you may recall I was meaning to change my VTR's cat today, seeing as it's been blowing for weeks and the car is due an MOT. So out I went to jack the car up and noticed the jack didn't feel as strong as normal... and began to sink slowly. It was early, and I wasn't awake so I sort of carried on regardless. I had an axle stand under the passenger side anyway.

About 5 minutes into the job I heard a creaking sound and the car started to come down on me. I was twisted at that time (spraying WD40), so it took me a moment to start pulling myself out and the car caught my shoulder, pinning me down and stopping me from moving or turning! luckily I could still breathe and was able to call for help but mum was at work, dad works nights and was asleep (heavy sleeper). After about 3 minutes I could feel the worst sort of bruising feeling ever, as the sill pressed into my arm. some kids doing a paper round walked up the drive and I yelled them over. They looked about 10 or 11 so I asked if they could grab the jack handle and lift the car up a bit. They paused for a minute and were giggling, all I could see was their feet and then one of the little ****s just yanked my shorts down around my ankles. Kids these days are just cheeky fearless ****s. I kicked the little ****er in the shin as they laughed and ran off. I was fighting back the tears at this point as i was thinking the worst about my arm going tingly

I tipped my head back and shouted to see if I could get the attention of a neighbour or a car queueing at the lights at the bottom of the drive... but it was futile as we have a long curving drive with a thick hedge either side.

By this point all my shouting had woken the dog, which came bounding over to see what the fuss was about, all excited. At first I thought I was saved but then rememebered the dog didn't know how to work the jack. All he could do was yap about all excitedly and sniff my exposed crotch. Until you've had a wet nose on your gooch, you won't know how odd this feels. He's only a young pup and gets quite excited... unfortunately it wasn't the best time for him to pee in excitement. It ****ing stunk and was all over my bare skin which was already sweating in the heat. The open pores covered in pee just stung like a bitch. Stupid dog!!!!! I was so angry! I could even feel my phone ringing but couldn't reach that either. My heart was beating frantically as I felt my arm starting to pulse in pain. What would you have done?

A short while later my mum arrived home, with my girlfriend she'd picked up in the car too. My heart sunk as the car doors shut and they walked over. All I could hear was silence as they arrived to see their son/boyfriend half-naked, covered in dust and with a trail of **** running off down to the edge of the lawn. My girlfriend managed to jack the car up enough for me to slide out, but then just burst into tears and said she was dissapointed in me? Mum hasn't said a word, but locked the door, probably because of the smell. What can I do?

I can't find the words to explain. I'm shaking. My arm is bruised and black. I'm typing this from my laptop in the garage because when my Dad wakes up I'm going to get the beating of my life. He's got a prosthetic leg, last time I ****ed up he hit me with that so hard.

I ****ing hate that leg

I didn't even get the cat changed.

Owch! :rolleyes: I can't help but laugh at that misfortune though of those kids pulling down his trousers... surely if he was on the floor he could have put a load of weight onto the ground with his hips and managed to keep them on. :rolleyes: I call BS (y)

he might have lost a lot of his dignity but that axle stand save his life at the end of the day... a true lesson to be learned from. but yeah cant help but laugh

another funny if not as serious working on car thread

really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….

I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boling water…….

I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….

I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………

Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….

Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……

Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wifes love of her life…..

The cat….

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…

Could I boll*cks….

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirt mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….

Some waxoil drpped onto the lead lamp….

Ping….

Blackness…….

Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved friutfull, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very piss7d off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen fllor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……

She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPADTE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....

"have a nice time dear ?......."

"what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"

"Is that what it is - its disgusting"

"Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."

"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house "

"really"

"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close

its like welding in nylon joggers with no insulative properties.

the spatter can get in and burn sertain areas.
or wearing cheap boots the spatter will burn though the keather and eventually a bit will find your foot.

or wearing jeans what have seen better days and are flared all over the floor

its like welding in nylon joggers with no insulative properties.

the spatter can get in and burn sertain areas.
or wearing cheap boots the spatter will burn though the keather and eventually a bit will find your foot.

or wearing jeans what have seen better days and are flared all over the floor

Or being called Daz :p

The quote link is 'dead' because it's not from FiatForum, but the quote tags direct it here, poor copying on Dave's part tbh ;)
If I wasn't reading it at work Andy's one would have made me lol, sounds like something The Beard would write :)

Back